Wood stove pellets for litter, hardwood versus pine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
Well I finally gave in and started using the horse stall bedding for litter for my rabbits and now my local Tractor Supply is out of stock, doesn't know when they'll get more, and said it's a global problem with TS. I called around to find the wood stove pellets and a place down the road from me has them, but they are hardwood, not pine. Does it make a difference for the rabbit litter if it's not pine? The hardwoods they list on the ingredients are maple, oak, cherry, and ash.

I have heard that hard wood doesn't absorb as well as pine, but that seems to be the only major difference. It is still safe to use, just might not be quite as effective. Sometimes brand can be a bigger factor, so you might not be able to tell until you use it.

You don't show a location, but we get kiln dried pine shavings from Walmart so that could be another source. As far as pellets I don't think it really matters which type you get as long as they aren't eating them. I get some for our BBQ from a place in Oregon, but since they are for cooking not heating, the cost would be very prohibitive.

Thanks for your replies. I had the thought that maybe the place I was going to get the wood pellets would have their own brand of horse stall pellets so I went over there and asked. They actually did so now I'm all set. I will still try to get the ones at Tractor Supply, since they are a little cheaper, especially when they are on sale, but have a backup place if they are out of stock. Crisis averted!

Back