Wood & Paint Question - Housing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nela

Reaction score
Well this actually directly concerns my guinea pigs more than my bunnies but I thought I would ask here anyway since I am sure it applies to bunnies as well...

We are wanting to build the piggies their 'habitat' ourselves. Jeff wanted to use MDF since it's easy to work with but I am concerned about it being unsafe. MDF has a glossy finish and I was wondering if that could be a problem? I was having a bit of a time getting a precise answer while googling so I figured I would ask here since many people have built cages here.

If MDF is unsafe, what other wood would be safe and easy to use (we need to shape it and glue itas well)? Would plywood be okay?

Also,

I would love to paint or tint (or is it taint?)it. Are there any animal safe paints? I have something in mind but I wanted to see if there was anything elseout there I could use... :)

Thanks!

I am not sure about MDF but ply wood should be fine. Any paint or varnish that says "safe for children's toys" should be ok. If you have a Lidl in your area they sometimes sell a really cheap safe weather protection gel (in different wood colours) I have all my hutches treated with that.

The only time I used any wood was kiln dried pine and it was completely exterior. Plywood was on the no fly list unless you use it in such a way that it won't be chewed--if you have exposed edges, then we use poplar to trim it. You may want to check out stains--a water/vegetable base one is alright to use.

Thanks Sabine :)We do have a Lidl and we'll probably go take a peek there this weekend for other things so i will check for that as well :biggrin2:

Hmm most hutches are made with plywood? :confused2:I don't think untreated plywood would be a problem? :expressionlessI hope not... We're running out of woods we could use... Lol

Latest posts

Back