Won't take pain meds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apebull

Reaction score
Twigs got neutered yesterday and they gave me Vailturb (the il could be switched can't tell by writing) for his pain. Anyway he won't take it I think it taste gross. We tried hollowing out a papaya gummy (dried papaya aka bunny crack) and he ate the papaya part but left the middle where the meds were. He won't let us pick him up, which is pretty normal for him. So I can't force feed it to him. Also I haven't been about to check his operation sight to see if its healing or even what it looks like.

He is peeing, pooping, drinking and eating. But he's not eating as much as normal. He was hopping around his area this morning is lays 1/2 way stretched out. So at least he's not all hunched over. And he did run and circle my daughter feet this morning when she went in with him.

So should I be worried, or try to catch him and pick him up and force feed the meds, or just continue to let him rest and leave him alone for a day or two???

you could try mixing some fruit flavored baby food in with it to get him to take it - I know mine practically rip the syringe from my hands when I give them baby food as their fruit treat.

failing that, I wouldn't worry too much if he doesn't appear to be in pain. iirc, boys aren't even always sent home with pain meds since the surgery isn't very invasive and doesn't cause much pain compared to a spaying.

If he seems to be eating a good amount and is hopping around and isn't grinding his teeth or hunched up, then he sounds like he might be doing alright without his pain meds. I actually just got 2 of my rabbits spayed, and the evening when I brought them home, the younger one seemed to be recovering well and was hopping around and had started nibbling on things. My older rabbit was barely hopping around and barely eating. It was very apparent that she was in pain. I gave them both their pain meds and it really helped my older rabbit feel a little better, but the next day I noticed my younger rabbit had stopped eating, wasn't moving around much, and was pooping less and the poops were smaller. I had already given them their pain meds in the morning. So all day she wouldn't eat and I was getting worried. I syringe feed her a little and towards the evening when the pain meds were wearing off, she started feeling better and started eating a little more. I know that pain killers make me feel really sick to my stomach, so I figured that's probably what happened with my younger doe. That the pain meds upset her stomach. If I go through another spay/neuter, if the rabbit seems to be eating and moving around pretty well, and doesn't seem in pain, I don't think I would give pain meds again.

Well my daughter got him to take most of his meds by putting a little on banana chips which he loves. I don't know if I'll bother trying to give him more unless he totally looks like he's in pain.

I got my stubborn Sapphire to take her medicine by mixing it in mashed banana. She actually began looking forward to her 'medicine time.'

Latest posts

Back