Won't stop scratching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offspring2099

Reaction score
I pretty sure that we gave Penny a PenG injection a little too high on her back. Well now she won't stop scratching herself. When we realized what was happening, there is a spot of about two inches of fur GONE and there is a blood stop.

I'm not sure what to do. Let her scratch it?

Is there an emergency animal hospital that you can call?

If it were my case, I don't think I'd have them scratch it.. but I wouldn't know if that'd be the right thing to do. Because there's a slight open wound, I wouldn't want something to get in there. There's an animal emergency hospital here open 24/7, and they offer advice over the phone.

I really wouldn't know what advice to give.. since I'm not comfortable writing about something I have no experience in. Sorry =[

There should be some advice in this link:

Self Mutilation

Oddly enough I was just looking at it last night thinking we should shore up the summary, links to include problems with injection sites.

Hope you find some relevant info.

sas :clover:

Pixie,

THanks for responding. She stopped for now, but I'm sure that is still itches. I just wanted to know if I need to help treatin it (the wound). I'm still kinda woried that when i go to bed, she'll go at it again. I can call the em. vet but im sure they'll want to see her and that's an hour away at least.

Thanks Pipp. I think I'll wait till the morning and maybe give her some pain killers if she doesn't stop. I haven't seem her scratch it for a while, but it doesn't mean she stopped. Oh man it looks horrible. Like a blood patch.

Ugh, that can be serious, they are SO prone to infection.

I'd put some Neosporin or Betadine or Silvadine or something on it tonight. (What have you got?)

Can she lick it? If so, avoid the Neosporin with pain relief, only use the regular stuff.

sas :?

Oh no! Well if it looks bad, she could make it a lot worse over night. I would have her stop picking at it. I would call for advice anyways [There's no harm in it.. but make sure they're rabbit savvy!]- see if there's anything that you could do over night or in general.

If it's a wound, maybe some polysporen? Pipp has told me that the pain relief one causes upset tummies when they lick it off. I bought that for Muffy.. but only because she couldn't reach her back anyways. I have other polysporen for cuts where my rabbits can reach it.

I've been looking into buying a cone from my Vet.

I hope everything works out for you two!

You know what guys, I haven't seen her try to scratch for about an hour now.

On another note, the spot, she can't lick, she can't reach it, I'm 100% sure, but I'm afraid she can scratch it with her back paw and then lick her paw.

Yup, Polysporin is fine, just scrub your hands really well and rub alittle on there.

Sounds like it's under control, but keep an eye on her.

Good luck!

sas :clover:

I just checked, and it got a little bit bigger, but started to scab. I think she scratched it a little more when i went to bed and stopped. I don't see her doing it anymore.

I put Polysporin into google and can't really find who caries it. Where can it be purchased, possible different name? Thanks for all the help everyone.

I pretty sure I have plenty neosporin at home. I just didn't know that Neosporin and Polysporin was the same thing. Like I said before, she can't directly lick it, I was afraid that she'll scratch with her foot, and lick the foot. You know how they like to do that. So I guess a light coat of neosporin won't be enough to mess up her stomach?

Sorry about the Poly/Neosporin mix-up, it's Polysporin in Canada (where PixieStixxx is, me too).

Neosporin comes in two type -- regular and one with pain relief. Regular is fine, the pain relief version shouldn't be licked off.

Any 'triple antibiotic' will do.

Also, my vet recommends Betadine for nicks and bites, which is that orange goop they pour on people/animalsbefore operating on them.

Hope this helps!

sas :bunnydance:

Hi,

Do you buffer the Pen G when you inject it? That drug burns like H-E-double hockey sticks when it goes in. If it is injected in the same spot or even near the same spot, it will develop a sterile skin abscess. Injections in the same area will also develop scar tissue. The fur will come out and the area will be itchy, may bleed andwill crust over. If this is what is happening, move your injections around. I mix the drugwith a small amount of lactated ringers solution to buffer the burn. Pen G should be administered every other day. I start above the shoulders and work down toward the flanks alternating injections on each side of the spine. That allows a lot of different spots to inject. And sub-q injections can be done on any skin that can be scruffed. I routinely do it in the flank especially in dehydrated animals. I think several folks have named some solutions....we have used Neosporin, Silvadine, Bag Balm and a few others. There is a new ointment called Safe Gel that is great for this too but Safe Gel and Silvadine require a presciption in some states.

Randy

Thanks Randy,

If this starts to happen more I think lactated ringers are our next step. She's been really good about it, really no problems other then that one time we hit the nerver. I really think this time it just stay in her skin and not under.

Back