Won't open his eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivibee

Reaction score
Feichai, healthy 7 years old mini-rex, good appetite and playful personality.

Just few minutes ago, after Feichai had his dinner, I noticed that he wouldn't open his right eye. There's a little bit of discharge, the muscle is tight, it's like he tried to keep it closed. His left eye is perfectly fine. I opened the fridge to test him, he still got alert and showed interest as usual. He opened his bad eye for one second, I can see that the pupil is smaller than normal.

He has been eating and pooping regularly. He had allergy and would occasionally sneeze, but it's much better recently.

Can anyone let me know what should I do right now? thank you very much!!!!!

Now it looks a little better, no more discharge, but he still won't open it. We haven't had time to cut his nails, maybe they are too long and he accidentally scratched himself in the eye?
I cut his nails just now, he's now grooming himself thoroughly.

he needs to see a vet ..even if it something simple like a scratch ; he still will need antibiotic opthlamic ointment or drops.

Could also be a corneal abrasion

not being able to open the eye is the number 1 sign of an injury .

Well, it sounds a bit like an eye infection, or corneal ulcer. Infection is a bit more likely. What color is the discharge? Is it clear or white?

I would get him checked by a vet very soon. Eye infections can be very painful and damaging to the eye, and corneal ulcers (basically a cut on the eye) can quickly turn in to devastating eye infections or damage the eye beyond repair. A short course of antibiotics can clear this up. Check out these links:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Corneal_ulcers.htm
WARNING GROSS PIC at top of page:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

Thank you all for your helpful information.
Feichai has recovered already, he can blink, he can open his eye, he is back to normal. Maybe some dust to debris got into his eye last night.

I really wish there is a good vet I can go visit, but there's none. I've been searching for a good vet since I moved here four years ago, but there is no reliable vet for rabbit in Guangzhou, China. Last time when Feichai had allergy problem, I had to bring his fecal to vets in Hong Kong to run a thorough examination. But Feichai is getting old, I need to find a better and more convenient solution.

Thank you again for your help!! Since there's not vet around my area, this forum has been my savior whenever Feichai has a problem. I really appreciate all of your help :inlove:

Back