Won't drink water at home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtipthebun

Reaction score
So, Tippy and I went home this weekend for her other mommy's birthday. New carrier rocked...she snuggled up and fell asleep the whole way home (until we hit the dirt roads...and she glared at me the rest of the way).

We had a wee bit of drama that night (she was dragging the back portion of her body, so we drove her the 2.5 hours to the emergency vet in the middle of the night..for her to be hopping just fine when we got there...figured it was a cramp or constipation or something....the vet was super sweet and helpful).

But onto the real issue....water.

When we're here, Tippy goes through a small water bottle a day. The creature drinks like a fish. However, when we're at home, she pretty much refuses all water. This happened last time we were there, too, so we got her a new water bottle.
Didn't help.

We have no problem when she's here. But so far at home, we've tried a new bottle, the old bottle, both bottles, switching to a dish,using filtered water, putting juice in her water, putting oats under the bottle, and floating her veggies in water. Nothing.

Instead, we saturate her veggies really well and let her have watermelon as a treat. Any suggestions on how to make her drink when we're there? I'm going to be going home for three months soon...and I don't want to have to worry about the bunny every day.

Maybe she doesn't like the taste of the water there? Could you put something sweet, like apple juice in it to entice her to drink?

K:)

Tried that. I've tried filtered water from the fridge, too. Changed out the bottle in case she didn't like the bottle, but she won't drink from that one either.

Totals stumped then. Sounds like you tried everything I would have tried.

Sorry, wish I could help. Hope someone else can give you some ideas.

K:)

Have you tried using water from home (where she considers home). Water can vary from place to place and she might not like the taste. Even filtered water can still have a taste of where it is from. Next time, try taking a large bottle (2L pop bottle or something similar) of water from home. Use it to fill her water bottle and if you want to try a dish as well. You can even try using bottled water, get her used to it before hand and take some with you. Bottled water should be easier to find if you need to buy more. If you are staying for a while, then you can try to slowly transition the water to the stuff there so she can get used to it more.
I have also heard of people who have horse that will put apple cider vinegar in the water at home and when they are at a show or travelling. This can slightly change the taste of the water, but since it would the same taste they are used it they will drink the water even if it is different that what they are used to. You do of course have to get her used to drinking water with apple cider vinegar in it.

I'm going to try the water from home thing, but I'm going to be there for 3 months...that's a lot of water...my truck isn't that big!!

What confuses me though is that before we came up to the apartment, we were living at the house, and she drank the water just fine then. And when I moved her back here, she had no trouble with the transition at all. We've been home a few times since and had no problem drinking (trying to remember...may have had apt. water in the bottle though).

Getting her used to bottled water would be expensive with the amount she drinks....

You can try to transition her to the new water slowly. Take a large bottle or even a 4L milk jug and fill it with water from home. For the first couple days there, only give her the home water. Then add a bit of water from where you will be. It could be 25% new for a few days, then 50%, then 75%, then all new water. This lets her get used to it more slowly instead of a sudden change. You won't need to take a 3 month supply, but a week or so should be enough.

I'm hoping that's the problem...that she's used to her water...but if it's not? I have no idea what else to try. Because wet veggies and watermelon slices are good when it's cool, but in Texas summers.....

In the meantime, soak her greens before she gets them... You could also try smearing some banana on the spout to get the licking going.

When Sweetie won't drink, I force water in her. I take a syringe without the needle, fill it with water and syringe it to her. You may have to do that for a while until she starts drinking. I had to syringe water to Sweetie the other day because she didn't drink, now she is.

Wait, where is 'home' and where is 'here'? Is there any temperature difference in the homes? If the other home is warmer, that would definitely cause her to drink more. It could also be the sodium in the water? Some water is more salty in some areas so that can make it more fun to drink. Either way, there has to be some sort of solution. Are you sure she doesn't drink at all when she's home? Does she eat normally then? Fussy fussy bunny! :p

Latest posts

Back