Wondering what your average spay/neuter costs are?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaylaLop

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of factors determining which vet to take a rabbit to for a spay or neuter, such as quality, experience, what they do during the procedure, pain meds, post op care, etc. but I was just curious what others have paid, on average for vet costs for just the anesthesia/spay or neuter/routine post op stuff.

I asked the local vet hospital and they said about $96 for a spay and about $67 I think for a neuter. I was expecting a LOT more since she is a very good exotics vet but am happy to know I have a reasonable charging vet who is very experienced with rabbits and the surgery.

Theres some great info in our library about spaying/neutering and the costs involved.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

I dont see anything wrong with that cost. Seems pretty normal to me. Does that include the drugs and anesthetic and pre-post op pain meds? what about the pre-surgical exam?

Wow, wish we had those kinds of prices here!

I paid $150 for JLP's neuter at a normal vet and close to $300 for Pips neuter at an exotics vet. Merry has just reached the right age to get her spayed and i can only imagine how much that's going to cost. >.<

I did ask around at the various vets in and around my area and they were pretty much the same, between $150-$300.

Hopefully it will be much cheaper at the new vet i will be taking them to when we move.

Thanks, I tried doing a search on spay and cost but I didn't do it right I suppose..

Yes, it includes anesthesia and meds. I think I'll have to pay to have a physical exam done but it's like $45 and may include a fecal parasite test.

Although she's only 6 weeks old, so the vet's recommended age of 6 months is a bit in the future... Always good to plan ahead though :)

When I got Amelia spayed, it was $268. The exam and pain medication were extra and those were $80 and $20 respectively. I think the spay cost is fairly typical for the area, but it may vary a bit from vet to vet. The vet is an exotics vet.
I am not sure what a neuter will be, but I think it will be about $200. I am a bit afraid to ask as I have 2 that I may get done.

I've called around just about everywhere for a neuter for Toby. The cheapest I've found is 95, the most expensive was 325.

I'm considering getting the snippy snip done this winter when I'm home for Christmas... The cage at my parent's house is much smaller and wouldn't let him hop around much so he would have time to heal for the few days after the surgery. We'll see how he behaves for the next while.

I paid 40 for neuters, and 80 for a spay. but this was a farm vet... The extent of his neutering rabbits involved snipping 4-H kids' bucks when they got too territorial. This was also in rural Iowa.

Now, flash forward to good ol' Pasadena, CA... I got quoted 230 for a spay. It hurts my wallet, who is still on Iowa-cost of living mindset, but sadly I think for this area that's about "right". Ehh.

Neuter was: 70 for exam, 70 for pre-neuter bloodwork, 230 for neuter and associated costs. Total: 370

Spay was: 70 for exam, 70 for pre-spay bloodwork, 300 for spay and associated costs, 40 for Metacam. Total: 480

I am about to pay £65.00 for Nigel to be neutered, not sure how that works out in dollars. I also have to pay £25.00 for next jab.

MarisaAndToby wrote:
I've called around just about everywhere for a neuter for Toby. The cheapest I've found is 95, the most expensive was 325.

I'm considering getting the snippy snip done this winter when I'm home for Christmas... The cage at my parent's house is much smaller and wouldn't let him hop around much so he would have time to heal for the few days after the surgery. We'll see how he behaves for the next while.
What clinic were you quoted 95$?

I got mine done in St. Albert and I was quoted around 130$ for a neuter but then it turned out Gimpy was Cryptorchid(testes didn't drop) so they had to do a "spay" surgery instead. So it ended up being around 160$, plus like 5-10$ for pain meds to take home.

I was quoted 170 at Tudor Glen in St. Albert. Westlock told me 95, I'm from a small town further north than Westlock. It's a large town/small city vet so lots of farm animals but they told me they do some rabbits.

Here, we had a neuter done at the vet school, with all the pre-op exams and bloodwork, for around $200 total. I haven't had to get a bunny spayed--the girls were already done when I got them. Our shelter does low-cost spay/neuter for rabbits for $100. I know that sounds like a lot for a low-cost program (same program does cats for $30), but in our area it is a very good price. Vet school in town + nice place to live + lots of other people living here = tons of vet clinics, which seems to actually drive the cost up rather than down...

spays go anywhere from 90$ to 440$
an nueters go anywhere from 90$ to 300$

theres a a lot of vet clinics here though & the nice fancy ones use their name to charge more, while small ones or family owne are generally less. generally.

I haven't really checked the pricing of spays around my area. But for neuters I've found places around here that were $70 to $170, which I believe doesn't include pain meds. However, I was able to pay only $35 at my local SPCA, which also didn't include any pain meds. They would provide some if asked or get them from your vet. I do trust my SPCA since they always have rabbits and it's a nice place. I think the spay was the same price if not 10 more.

Oh forgot to mention, the vet I take Harvey to is $170 for neuter. But if I had lived in the same county as my vet I could have gotten a voucher from a spay and neuter program to have it done at my vets and only pay $10. =/

mann.. I'm paying $200 for Peters neuter and that is considered a good price in my area. I was previously quoted by a different vet for $300 and another one for $290. So yeah it really does depend.

Latest posts

Back