wondering if the pet shop i got my bunnies from sold me them as the wrong breed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
well when i first bought my 2 bunnies they wereonly 9 weeks old and looked very simular and i very much belived thatthey were as the pet shop had said mini lops. as the 2 of them grew irealised they dont look anything a like!

Dandy is a small rabbit not realy samll but i would sya the right sizefor her breed i think she is with lop ears and qutie a short round face.

Dandyinthetunel.jpg

Dandy when she was around a year old!

2.jpg

Dandy recently!

On the other hand Daisy especially as she was still growing, under 12months, she became very long, thin and had very long back feet andtail. her ears stayed up whcih they still are now, about 3 yrs later.she has now become slightly more proportioned as she has put on quite abit of weight as she is very greedy so she doesnt look so long and thinbut still has big feet and long tail and is quite a large rabbit! (thishas i think helped her with her escaping as shes a very high jumper andher rabbit hopping!!! :bunnydance:)

Daisyinthetunel.jpg

Dasiy around a year old!

CIMG1358.jpg

Daisy recently having a rest!

From my point of i realy dont mind what breeds my rabbits are as i dontshow them or anything so they can be whatever breed they are but itwould be interesting to know what other people think they are!

people have said that to me on here before butit waqs part of another thread so i started this one to find outeveryones opinion!

any other ideas or does everyone thinkl Daisy is a english spot?

What does Dandy weight? She might be amini lop although she looks more like a dwarf lop to me (your dwarflops are the bigger ones, right?). Could also be acrossbreed. Many pet shops have no clue about rabbits and areno better with breed than gender.

naturestee wrote:
What does Dandy weight? She might be a mini lopalthough she looks more like a dwarf lop to me (your dwarf lops are thebigger ones, right?). Could also be a crossbreed.Many pet shops have no clue about rabbits and are no better with breedthan gender.
not sure how mcuh Dandy weighs as i dont have suitableweighing scales for a rabbit what would you suggest i weigh her with?

mini lops are the bigger ones of mini lops and dwarf lops!

well all the of the rabbits ive had have actually been sold to me asthe right gender which is quite surprising! although my first rabbitwas sold o me as a boy the vets when i took him said he was a girl sohe stayed as a girl for quite a few months till we discovered 'she' wasactually a he! lol

In the UK, the Mini Lop is the smallest, averaging 3 1/2 lbs. It is comparable to our Holland Lop in the US.

The Dwarf Lop averages 4 1/2 lbs.

The German Lop is in the weight range of 7 lbs.

The Meissener and French Lops are over 10 lbs.

I agree that Dandy has the appearance of a Dwarf Lop.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Inthe UK, the Mini Lop is the smallest, averaging 3 1/2 lbs. Itis comparable to our Holland Lop in the US.

The Dwarf Lop averages 4 1/2 lbs.

The German Lop is in the weight range of 7 lbs.

The Meissener and French Lops are over 10 lbs.

I agree that Dandy has the appearance of a Dwarf Lop.

Pam

thanks for your feed back i woudl weigh her but as i said beofre i haveno suitable scales. what do you suggest i use to weigh a rabbit?

If you have human weighing scales, you can weighyourself, and then way your self holding the rabbit. And'just estimate how much more you weigh holding the rabbit.

Worked great with me :)

when i took my girls to the vets the other daythe vet had to write on their forms what breed they are but she alreadyknew Dandy is a mini lop as she got spayed there and she said Daisy wasprobably a mini lop x dutch.

what do you think to that idea?

Has anyone else thought maybe a mini rex, or amini rex cross? I have seen that pattern, or ones like it,alot recently at petshops.

kirinsangel wrote:
Has anyone else thought maybe a mini rex, or a mini rexcross? I have seen that pattern, or ones like it, alotrecently at petshops.

Could be although many breeds have the broken coat pattern (called "butterfly" in the UK)

Pam

Latest posts

Back