Wondering if Baxter! is not all that smart - or maybe it "me"..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
I've noticed with Baxter! that when he is "chilling" either in his play area in the living room, outside or under my desk at the office that I REALLY need to get his attention when entering his area?

Is he being cranky? Or do I realy need to "wave" at him as I do when he seems to not "see" me or is this bun behaivor.. I can tell when he's cranky about something but when I've been away from him for a period of time - he seems to "check out" or "zone out", but maybe its him trying to tell me he's upset?

Curious what others will tell me.. Thanks!

It sounds like he's asleep - bunnies can and do sleep with their eyes open. They've got a third eyelid (transparent) that covers the eyes when they're snoozing.

My bun looks awfully spaced out when she's napping, but then, I probably do, too! ;)

Yep, Bo sleeps with his eyes open most of the time. I'll walk in and say "Bo, what are you doing" and I don't realize he's asleep until he wakes up and seems a bit startled!

It scares me every time to see a bunny doing their dead-bunny-flop and their eyes are open. I really have to watch for breathing, as shallow as it might be, before I disturb them and make a nuisance of myself. I always think I could give a bunny that is sleeping that hard a heart attack if I wake them to make sure they are still alive. (Does that make sense?)

myheart

certainly sounds like he is sleeping with his eyes open. Though really I just think its there way of getting us to have a heart attack :p

Some rabbits will pout if you aren't playing with them when they are out. Wiggles would :?Lol. Then again, it could be that he is just waaay relaxed and enjoying himself too much to want to pay attention. hihi. :)

Thank goodness, I can stop wondering if he was dropped on his head at some point prior to him finding me - lol.. Buns I am learning are one of the most interesting pets to have..

A few weeks back I posted a thread asking what people thought Baxter!'s breed might be (no definitive answer); but last week I posted about his whiskers thinking he was showing the signs of his earlier malnutrition as some are straight and others are curly and thinnerat the ends - someone had posted that perhaps he was part mini-rex and noticed today is another post that he looked exactly like their mini-rex (they had gotten from a breeder). Same head shape, body and looked to be the same size so I'm thinking he must be a MR.. Why are they notorious for this behavior? Is there a string about MR and their needs, wants and desires - LOL!

Must find new ways to spoil this little guy who has really just stolen my heart..:inlove:

Is his fur realllllly soft and like stands up on end sort of? vs. laying down more?

He looks like a MR from his photo.

MikeScone has said something to the effect that they have a ton of personality all wrapped up in that little ball of fur! and they do!

MR's tend to have a lot of attitude (bunnitude)! Which makes them simply awesome IMO!!

OK just checked out mini-rexes (sp? plural) websites and looked a few breeder sites and their buns are MUCH fatter than Baxter!. Perhaps he's not a full mini-rex but does have the same -what I refer to as a "hiccup" of a tail - almost like God thought - oops forgot the tail on that one - slap whatever we have on it! LOL>.. But then the specific "breed" I guess they say weighs up to 4.9 lbs and Baxter! is now weighing 5.1 lbs and is still only 7.5 months old - how long do bunnies grow until they reach their maximum weight and length/height?

Love how my threads ALWAYs go in another direction.. sorryand thank you verymuch,to all who post back!

Drat! no his fur definetly lays down - flat as all get out, but its VERY dense, not thick perse, but compact - if you will? from the breeding sites I saw that the longer fur was bred out of this breed to make for a softer coat - which his is so very luxurious to rub against your cheek (I pick him up all of the time to snuggle - he hated it at the begining, but now barely gives me a wiggle when doing so).

He DEFINETLY is mischevious and will let me know when he wants something - throws everything around, makes a TON of noise with anything he can find to get your attention, He will not be ignored! LOL..

Oh, he could grow another 2 or 3 months and then still fill out later. (especially when they get neutered)

Some are fat, some aren't real fat - depends on how they are fed. Also, not all are breed perfect ya know? Ideally, MR males weigh around 4 pounds. Bo is about 4.25 and used to weight about 5. They tend to love food!

This is my Bo when he was about 1.5 years old. He's sort of a goober sometimes - like laying there for his picture with this bow on his head........ and other times he's very bossy and unagreeable!

His tail is almost attached to the underside of him and sticks out when he's all stretched out LOL!

mycolorisnotpink.jpg

NITENITE.jpg

What a cutie Bo is!!! and how agreeable to have him sit with a girly bow on his head - LOL! Baxter! will let me stick all sorts of things on him (for a short peirod of time mind you).. Well since its been about 20 days since Baxter! was neutored I'll have to keep an eye out for his weight gain (good to know) he seems to eat more now that he's fixed; but at least he has not sprayed anything since and has been SO good about using litterboxes - rarely a stray poo anywhere anytime..

Such a good bun he is - I think I got really lucky w/him. As my Boyfriend says - thats one funny looking dog.Baxter! I believe thinks he is a dog... He loves traveling in the car - is very protective of my office space when others enter - he "chaperones" employees while they are in it (not my boss though, which we both find highly amusing - as if he know he signs my paycheck and he leaves him alone)..

He's smart, he's cute and I think I'll go with the Mini-rex Broken mix of somesort to describe him from now. Thanks Bo B Bunny for helping Baxter! figure out who he is..

Latest posts

Back