Women are born scared of spiders...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
Thought this was interesting, I have noticed women are more likely to be scared of spiders then men.

Women who run for cover when coming face-to-face with a spider have been offered a new explanation for their phobia: it is in their genes.

Research at a US university found females associate the eight-legged critters with fear more than males, most of whom react with indifference.
Psychologist Dr David Rakison from Pittsburgh's Carnegie Mellon University tested 10 girls and 10 boys, all aged 11-months, with pictures of spiders to see how they reacted.
He showed them images of a spider next to a fearful cartoon face and a spider next to a happy face.
Dr Rakison's report, published in the New Scientist, states that the girls looked at the picture containing a happy face for longer than the scared one.
However, the boys looked at both images for an equal amount of time.
He concluded that the girls found the happy face puzzling as they were expecting to see the spider paired with a frightened face.
The psychologist said these tests show that girls have a genetic predispostion to fear the arachnids in contrast with boys who do not.
"The experiments show that female 11-month-olds - but not males of the same age - learn the relation between a negative facial expression and fear-relevant stimuli such as snakes and spiders," Dr Rakison reported in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior.
He linked the difference in results to our hunter-gatherer ancestry when he says women had to be wary of dangerous animals to protect their children, whereas men used more risky behaviour in order to be successful hunters.
Past surveys have shown that almost 6% of the population have a phobia of snakes and around 4% are scared of spiders.
However, women are around four times more likely to be affected than men.
Men now have no excuse but to help a woman in need when next summoned to remove an unwelcome visitor from the bath.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090903/tod-why-women-are-really-afraid-of-spide-870a197.html

Hrmm :/

I'm the one that has to get rid of the spiders in my house!
They freak me out but I'm not scared of them. i don't mind touching them and stuff lol. But it is interesting!

I'm not sure of that interpretation of the results.... I welcome (non-venomous) spiders in my yard and even around the rabbitry. They really help control flies and mosquitos...

(Girls could have looked at the Happy face longer just because it is a more pleasant thing to look at... not because they were perplexed or puzzled over it next to a spider. Girls may just be smarter... no sense looking at something ugly if you don't have to! :laugh:)

:):):):):):)

Well as it is not like ALL girls/woman are scared because i love sipers, i hold them, and relocate ones in danger. and i held a trancala thingy in the zoo.
but its very interstsing.thanks very much for shareing:)
(blue giant-):biggrin2:

well i don't mind them, I tolerate them in the hutches and in the house, the only ones I don't like are the huge house spiders and I don't like any spider in my bedroom lol! Though I don't mind tarantulas at all and have held many through the years. Just a point but how can you tell if a 11 month old is puzzled (did they look at it and scratch their head)? They don't exactly have a wide vocabulary at that age and unless they gave a physical reaction such as crying or smiling I don't see how this proves anything lol! Oh yes and I know guys that are just as scared of spiders as girls are lol

Tehehe someone needs to tell that to my roommate John. He has a SEVERE phobia of spiders. But then so does my sister who lives with us and my wife.

Guess who takes care of the spiders? Moi! LOL I'm not afraid of them except the small brown ones, and even then I'm not afraid I just don't want them around my house or my kid or my pets. The rest of them I move outside (we actually have a very handsome orb spider on our back patio). But the brown ones get squished. :(

I don't go on a crazy rampage, but I hate spiders. I suppose hate isn't a stong enough word for this, they freak me out. So much. I don't go hysterically beating them killing every single one I see. Most of the time I scoop it up in an old bottle and bring it outside and then sit there paranoid that there are more somewhere in the house. I do relocate to a room with more cats too. Especially the one female we have that eats crawly bugs. She's welcome around me anytime. If I see one wandering around near me and I don't have a bottle I hope and pray that it just leaves the room and goes away or that maybe a cat will swoop in and save me.

They're so creepy.

Snakes and frogs and stuff though? I love them. I could stuff my house full of random creepy-crawlies that aren't spiders and I would die a happy person.

I'd like to read the actual study; I don't really agree with the interpretation of the results. It seems kind of like they just messed with the data they got. Not to mention a really small sample size.

My Granma and mom were always afraid of spiders but I wasn't until....I watched 'The Incredible Shrinking Man' wowzer's did that scare the heck out of me and from then on as a teen I was afraid of spiders. My cat is my spider killer for me, she eats them so mommy doesn't have to pick up the dead carcass, mommy's girl.

I hate spiders, if they are anywhere near me I freak out! Even though the study wasn't a great one, I do think it's true girls are four times more likely to be scared of spiders.

I don't freak out at anything other than roaches. Spiders are just there. Now if they get on me that is a different story. And I hate spider webs.

I don't think the study is accurate either - you can't really tell that's true by showing an 11-month old a picture; they have no clue what they're looking at. ;)
Men now have no excuse but to help a woman in need when next summoned to remove an unwelcome visitor from the bath.

Haha, this ^^will come in handy. :p I can just see it now:

Boy: "You're afraid of spiders?"

Girl: "It's in my genes! You HAVE to get rid of that spider! You have no excuse not to help me!"

Hahahah!

Emily

I think they should do it to younger infants because by 11 months the parents have probably read them lots of stories, including picture books where people are afraid of spiders.

Back