Withdrawn doe following kindling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkyp

Reaction score
My blue mini rex kindled last night and I was lucky enough to catch her right at the end. She has at least 6 kits who all seem well today.

She looks really withdrawn, not too interested in doing anything. Do you think she is just exhausted as another doe who kindled at same time is fine and if anything a bit fussy

I would keep a close eye on her and be certain she's eating well. I've given does a little Nutri Cal when they needed an energy boost after kindling.

Also check for any unusual discharge from the genitals, and be certain her temperature is normal. (Fever could indicate infection)

Pam

Thanks for that Pam. Have just checked on her and she has been into nest box and covered babies over, problem is with shavings!!! Mind you the actual nest is ok, its like she is building a barrier. She has nibbled at food but has been off food for a couple of days prior to kindling as she was last litter.

Mind you if I had just delivered seven babies, I would want to chill out too!!!

Does going off feed is normal before kindling. Just make sure that she is eating now.Give her lots of hay and give her a favorite treat.

Sharon

We've rarely had a doe go off feed before kindling, so I'm generally concerned if I see a full food dish. In my experience, it has generally indicated something to be concerned about.

Pam

I think it's different with individual does. I have one or two that will go off feed the day they kindle, (especially first time moms) and some who seem like they might have a snack between kits, LOL.
I would definatly watch her very closely, though, acting withdrawn after birth does sound worrying to me. Have you turned her over and looked to make sure everything looks normal with her genitals?

Thanks for all your advice. Have checked her over and she seems fine, no discharge or abdominal tenderness. Today she is absolutely back to normal and has been feeding her kits ok although she I often find one out of the nest ? whether she has jumped out with it still attached. Its not the same one every time so don't think it is her trying to get rid of one.

All looks well and the babies have nice fat tummies (all 7 of them)

Pinky xx

Latest posts

Back