wire floors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggy_

Reaction score
For our wire cage floors we use 1 x 1/2" 14-16 gague, and no problems with foot hocks. but one problem we do have is that at least once a day we will hear a kit squeel for a few seconds as they fall through the wire. there have been no long term injuries but I do not like what is happening.
we have tried cardboard flooring but they just tear it up.
We were considering using a layer of hay but we are worried that we will have to change it often to prevent mould and the amount of waste will be through the roof.
Also considering plastic mesh floor mats but worried they will chew it much like the cardboard.

what would be the best solution? will the hay still go mouldy if all the urine just drips out the bottom and the hay has a chance to dry?(we cannot be changeing that much hay every week. )

If your kits are out on the wire when they're young enough to regularly get their feet caught, they're out of the nestbox too soon. They shouldn't be falling through that regularly; even for the first couple days when they are still getting their footing, they should just be able to lift their feet up out of the gaps. At about 2-3 weeks when my rabbits start trying to get out of the nestbox I put the box on its side. The hay usually spills and covers part of the cage; this provides mostly all the flooring the kits need (I don't add more hay or replace it) and until they get a bit bigger they usually spend all their resting time in the nestbox anyway, not piled up on the wire floor.

For our wire cage floors we use 1 x 1/2" 14-16 gague, and no problems with foot hocks. but one problem we do have is that at least once a day we will hear a kit squeel for a few seconds as they fall through the wire. there have been no long term injuries but I do not like what is happening.
we have tried cardboard flooring but they just tear it up.
We were considering using a layer of hay but we are worried that we will have to change it often to prevent mould and the amount of waste will be through the roof.
Also considering plastic mesh floor mats but worried they will chew it much like the cardboard.

what would be the best solution? will the hay still go mouldy if all the urine just drips out the bottom and the hay has a chance to dry?(we cannot be changeing that much hay every week. )

i would take them off the wire and lay down a plastic tray, you can then wipe clean it when it gets dirty and prevent foot hocks and them falling through!

Latest posts

Back