Wire Dog Crate for Bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fini

Reaction score
So last night I was crating my two dogs beforebedtime and started to think about why you couldn't just use acollapsible wire dog crate for a large-breed rabbit. Most ofthem have removable plastic trays that can be cleaned verysimply.

Has anyone tried this?

yes i think you can use those...i havent triedit, but im sure there are people on here who do use them...i think iveseen a few in the cages only thread:)

I did a "duh." I should have done asearch on here first. Apparently there are several Flemishowners that have used dog crates.

Sorry about that. I will search first next time.

I have used dog crates for my littleguys. The biggest dog crate I've found is 48", which is okayfor a flemish if he gets let out a lot. Have you looked atdog exercise pens? You'll need to put down something for thefloor, like some non-slippery linoleum. But it's moreflexible (literally:D) and can provide a larger space. Or youcan build pens out of wire shelving grids (NIC cubes) like I did.

It all depends on how much space you have to spare. Me, I had a small bedroom to devote to two pairs of bunnies.

ve7xoj.jpg

ve7y84.jpg

This is Loki, my 5 lb dutch, in a 42" dog crate. I think it'sthe smallest cage I would be willing to keep him in, because he onlygets out a few hours a day. He's now in one of the pens.

ve81hy.jpg

Hi! I have tried it and it isGREAT!! I bought it off ebay! The store is in Toronto, so Icould pick it up locally - but this company does have a separate ebayseller for the US! The quality is EXCELLENT!! I usethe 48" one for my 4lb holland lop to give her lots of space (since istarted work, she needs to be in the cage while i'm not home).

One thing i found was.....at the bottom of the crate, there wehre biggaps and my bun actually SQUEEZED THROUGH IT - so, my bf and I flippedthe cage upside down so the big gaps were on top!! it worksreally great! The cage is soooo big that my BF and I fitinside it comfortably!!!

Here's a picture of the one I bought:

(i'll try to post a picture of MY cage when i get/find my digi camera)

And here's the link to the US ebay site if anyone is interested!

http://stores.ebay.com/For-Your-Pet_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

Is that crate a Midwest? Looks justlike the two I have for my doggies. They are great, and verydurable. I really can't imagine a bunny being able to doanything to it that would hurt the crate or the bunny; everything thatis except the wire spacing. Luna, my 4 year old SiberianHusky actually got one of her collar tags stuck in the bars.Luckily she was able to break it off, but I worry that a bunny doingbinkies in the crate might get their back leg caught between thebars. Perhaps I think too much.

Otherwise it does seem like an ideal cage for a big bunny.

I have one of those for a Fuzzy Lop and it worksgreat. I used NIC grids to build a shelf for him to jump upon. He loves it.

The only problem I have is the noise he makes when he wantsout. He knows I slide the handle lock to open it, so he pawsat it and makes that clanking noise A LOT.

Latest posts

Back