Wire bottoms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an outdoor hutch with wire bottom and also a wood bottom in the enclosed area. My rabbits tend to stay on the wire but pee & poop on the wood. If you must use a solid bottom make sure it's at an angle so the pee will drain off instead of wetting the whole floor.

TinysMom wrote:
Happi Bun wrote:
I'm going to agree to disagree because quite honestly, I gave my two cents (which I still stand by) and Whipple can choose to use it or not.
:highfive:

I just want to say THANK YOU for taking this attitude. One wonderful thing about this board is that we allow folks to state their opinion and then we ask that they do exactly this....agree to disagree and move on.

What a wonderful example of the way we try to run the board!

:biggrin2:
I love that as well, Peg and Happi Bun!:biggrin2:

Nibbles's cage has a wire bottom and it works fine. It's cleaner, and we just have a tray underneath it with kitty litter where the poo and pee lands. They may not like sitting on the wire, Nibbles doesn't, but you can just set off a little area in their cage with something solid so they can rest comfortably. I put a little bit of bedding in an area of Nibbles's cage so during the night(he's out pretty much all day) he can lay down on that instead of the wire.

Currently in my rabbitry, I have both solid floors and wire floors. I am switching to all wire floors, because that will make cleaning a heck of a lot easier and faster - giving me more time to spend with the rabbits themselves. There will of course, be either a resting board in their cage or an EZ mat, and not just one, probably two.

Wooden floors are more susceptible to rot, even when cleaned properly and as needed. I've had my wooden hutch for almost5 years, and the floor is already rotting. If you have a wooden hutch without a litter trained rabbit, the cost of fixing the hutch or even replacing it, could cost a lot if you're having to do so every 3-5 years. I can understand for those of you who don't agree with wire floors, that solid floors are better for you. But, there are pros and cons for both.

However, wire floors and wood floors are both equally known to cause sore hocks, and like OakRidge said, it really is about the genetics of the rabbit and how well furred their feet are. I've heard many people say that mini rex shouldn't be housed on wire flooring, but I've only had one buck that ever had sore hocks, and that was because his feet were badly furred. ;) All my other rabbits ever housed on wire haven't shown sore hocks.

Emily

Latest posts

Back