Winston - My Buppy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilabuni

Reaction score
I wanted to keep a record of Winston, my special needs rabbit, and also tell everyone about him, and noticed this forum has a blog area so I thought it would be ideal :)

I rescued him back in March from someone locally who takes in unwanted ones to find new homes, and having been to her before for another rabbit, I trusted her and knew the bunny was coming from a great place. Forgetting to bring a carrier with me, he sat on my lap the car ride home, and I realised something was up straight away when I found a wet patch on my shirt and jeans at home. He'd been dribbling quite a lot; it was all down his chin and neck. I'd never seen anything like it, instantly figuring it was a dental issue, and I began worrying he wasn't eating a thing. Contacted his previous owner, asked her for details of his eating habits, found out he was on a dreadful muesli food (unfortunately I'm still having to give it to him for now, but he's also got a mix of pellets with it as well), and that she knew nothing of any dental issues.

After the first vet trip, I found out he's got misaligned molars which had spurs on and were obviously causing him ridiculous amounts of pain when he ate as they rubbed the inside of his cheeks. I hand-fed him about 30 pellets each night (before he got fed up and would push my hand away) for the first couple weeks he was here, and he was drastically losing weight from the tubby thing I took on. He was very patient with being given Recovery from the vets too, even though it got everywhere. Then one morning I woke up to the faint sound of crunching. I looked over and he was eating by himself! I nearly cried because I'd been so worried about him. He had medications for a while to help the pain, so they'd obviously kicked in.

He's since had a dental and the vet warned me he might be drowsy and probably won't eat still for a couple of hours. I said that was fine, I'd monitor him as he was in my room anyway. Let him out the carrier as soon as we got back, half hour later, and he bounced out, head straight in his bowl and sat there happily munching his food! He had his check-up the other day and he's put on weight, he's healthy, his teeth and gums look fine for now, and they were really happy with his progress :)

Since he lives in my room and I'm always around him, he's gotten very used to me. If I need to go out for a long period of time, I always leave him in his cage, but usually he has full range of my room with just the base of his cage free to go to the toilet in and eat/drink if he needs to, and I've also got his carrier that he likes sleeping in sometimes on the other side of my room. And I call him my 'buppy' because my mum said to me he's like a little dog or puppy - he follows me round the room, getting between my legs and reaching up when I'm sorting his food out, he does the same if his water bowl is empty, he knows not to go out my room if the door is open lol, and his litter training is coming on well! This week, he's been pooping less on the floor and more in his cage where he pees :)

I know he still needs dental work in the future, but my vets are brilliant so I have no worries!

He's currently eating his meadow hay, but this is of him earlier, lounging next to my bed:

:)

He is such a handsome little boy. Glad that you have sorted out his dental problems and have a savvy vet you can trust. He sounds adorable and would love to see more pics of him. Love his nickname, sounds like he is very happy being with you.

Latest posts

Back