Willow's Story

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
100_0035.jpg

Warning!Willow's Story is not for the faint of heart!

About a year ago animal control got a phone call from a bewildered woman who said that "something strange" was going on with the pet rabbits that lived in a hutch in the yard next door.

Animal control responded to the call, evaluated the situation and immediately involved the police. The police found an emaciated rabbit dead and hidden in a garbage bag in the yard, a dead rabbit in the hutch and another emaciated rabbit in the hutch with the dead one.

The emaciated rabbit was brought back to the shelter andweighed in at 1 1/2 lbs.

Her name is Willow.

The woman of the house was formally charged with animal abuse. This is why the rabbits were not fed. " My daughter wanted rabbits and I told her that if she got them that she would have to care for them and that I wasn't getting involved with it."

The woman did get involved enough to hide the corpse of the 3rd rabbit when she knew the police were enroute to her house.

Willow was in limbo. She was a "ward of the shelter" while the court case was pending...her owners had not signed her over to us.

She ate immediately and everything in sight. I was cleaning the room then so brought her greens all the time. She gained weight steadily, however she didn;t trust. As she grew stronger she became a "difficult " rabbit by staff assessment.

Willow and I knew better..she had no reason to feel anything other than fear.

In early fall the case was over and her owners had signed her over plus been charged as guilty which involved a hefty fine.

Willow was spayed and went home with me to recover.

I knew deep down that according to our shelter (at that time) that Willow would not be considered adoptable . She never bit but boxed lunged and growled.

Jacques had just passed away and I had a spot in the room for just one more.

Willow was adopted by me last fall.

She is now so plump that she is going on a diet soon.

She still is distrustful but all in all her behavour is much calmer.

Willow doesn't like other rabbits but likes to play hard with toys. Late into the night I can hear her ripping up the boxes I give her to play with. She can shred a willow basket in 24 hrs.

Maybe sheis angry over her distant past but I like to think that she is just playing hard..a real tomboy. Willow has had no health issues despite her horrible experiences.

She gets to go first here on the blogbecause she has survived so very much.

:heart:II love you Willow

This has been one of the rescue stories that I've always remembered, and one of the ones I've thought about a bit since I originally heard it. How something like what Willow went through could ever happen is beyond me, and the fact that she is doing good, gaining weight (maybea smidge toomuch weight.. hehe! Girl loves her food I guess :p.. aww!) and continuing to beimproving is so amazing.

She is such a beautiful girl too. I'm so glad she's with you, she couldn't ever have a better mommy and home than yours! :).

Give this special pretty girl a kiss from me! Or even a little air kiss will do! :)

:bunnyheart

That's an amazing story! I dont understand why anyone could hurt an animal, did you ever find out why she killed the others? Some people can't even look after themselves, never mind an animal :grumpy:Willows a beautiful colour and I hope she learns to trust you :)

What kind of person could to that to poor innocent rabbits.:(

Willow is beautiful, what a strong girl to come through all that. You are amazing for taking her in, :hug2:

Thanks everybody

The other rabbits that lived with Willow STARVED to death

The woman felt that if her daughter wasn't taking responsibility for feeding them that she wouldn't either (what a nitwit)
Willow has not had a good life. I wish that she liked other rabbits because I would love to bond her but my cat William hides out in Willow's cardboard boxes a lot and the two of them get along well.

I remember when you decided to take Willow in, but I didnt know her whole story. Thats just so awful. Shes very lucky you guys found her and helped her back to health. Shes such a stunning girl. She looks like maybe she's part dutch?

Is she getting any nicer as she settles in with you or is she still cranky?

I'm so glad you took her in. What a horrible story:( At least she'll get a good ending even though the othe rtwo did not:X Good Luck Willow!!! Your new mommy is doing a great job of taking care of you!

That is such a horrible thing to do to rabbits silly woman. At least something good came out of it how long did it take before you could adopt her properly?

I hope she has a good long healthy happy life with you:)

Latest posts

Back