Willow has a damp nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well if Willow is sick my worst night mare has come true. I am afraid that babette's pneumonia problem has spread to some of my other rabbits. Willow has never sneezed before, nor has she had a damp nose. otherwise she is fine

I did move her area which may have stressed her ,,otherwise she caught this from babette.
I talked to the vet who treats some of my rabbits. he is willing to allow me to have a vial of injectible baytril, weigh the rabbits myself and treat them as needed.

I have injected baytril before which is easier because it doesn't affect the GI tract.
I am afraid of all of them getting sick ( all 7) and Ernie the shelter bunny.
Actualy I will post this also in the rabbitry as they deal with numbers
I think that I will wait a little while to see if it will resolve on its own.

Hi,

If the condition is pneumonia....or maybe better described asa lower respiratory infection...most likely Baytril will not be as effective as some other drugs. It is quite difficult to obtain a specimen for culture so it's a "shotgun" treatment usually. In our experiences here with LRIs...Baytril is not usually up to the task at hand. The use of a diuretic (prescribed by a doctor)also is quite helpful at removing the fluids from the lungs.

Randy

Willow didn't sneeze at all so far as I've been around her today so what ever it is I hope that she is fighting it off herself.

babette had the pneumonia thing and she is improving on the big dose of Cipro.

AWESOME! Keep us posted.

So far Willow seems fine. I haven't heard her sneezing at all.

Babette is also much improved and will be on meds until next Mon.
I took Ernie back to the shelter as I thought it was probably safer for him there and I also didn't bring the new neuter, Cinnamon home because I didn't want him to pick up anything.

So far I was very lucky on this one. Thanks for asking

Can you try getting some echinacea. It is safe for bunnies i can get it over here mixed with coneflower, or i use the drops and put a couple in the water bottle. It boosts the white blood cell count helping them to stave off infections:)

I heard of use of echinacea for pet rats but I didn't know that it could be effective with rabbits ..I think I have the non alcohol drops.
I know that you're not supposed to use it continuously or it will be ineffective.
I don't know if they would drink water with drops in it but I'll look into it.

I think I gave it straight to one of my rats awhile back.

They will i have one that is sneezy and i give him echinacea in his water if it gets bad. it is just now cause its starting to get colder. i would give it to all of them just as an immune system boost for a week or so then stop and see how they are all doing:)

Latest posts

Back