Will they breed??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winandpenny

Reaction score
I just added a new addition to my bunny batch! I got Windsor "Win" (Full rex buck) about three weeks ago and a little over a week ago added Penny (Unknown breed doe, although she's built smaller.). They hit it off GREAT and love each other endlessly. I've had no problems with them. They follow each other around, cuddle and groom each other incessantly.
My only question is will they breed this young? Windsor is 9 weeks and Penny is about 7. I know the risks of a rabbit that gets pregnant too young but I don't want to have them fixed, as I want them to breed later. But I can't separate them either, they get too depressed!
Do I have anything to worry about?

Moved to the rabbitry so you can get more help...

You really do need to start keeping them separate until they're old enough to breed if you're insisting on breeding them.

Just be aware that if you have mixed breed babies - it will probably be harder to find homes for them.

One thing if she stays younger than him she is likely to suffer complications birthing so be wary when they are old enough ;)
Just now though you should be safe for a few weeks I wouldn't keep mixed sexes together past 12-14 weeks it's not worth it when they start to get their hormones as they end up frustrated Imo anyway :)

I would definitely seperate them as soon as possible. They will soon start to get on eachothers nerves, so they shouldn't be kept together much over the 10-12 week mark. You can put their cages right next to eachother. ;) Eventually, you will have babies that young fighting each other because of hormones.

It's best for the both of them to be seperated to prevent fighting & pregnancy. ;)

Emily

You shouldn't breed because she is mixed, and honeslty what is the point?

But aside from my opinion, you should keep them seperated. I would not want them to get used to each other and think they will always have a companion, and if you breed them, she will NOT tolerate sharing a space with a buck when she has kits.

youngest rabbit to ever deliver a litter was 14 weeks old. Rabbit gestation is 28-35 days....you do the math.

Generally speaking a doe that delivers when too young will ignore the litter and you'll get dead kits.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
You shouldn't breed because she is mixed, and honeslty what is the point?

There is nothing wrong with Cross breeds. I have a couple of them and they are the sweetest bunnies. and you can still show them 4H FFA in the Cross breed classes. They also work great for cloverbuds just starting out. They also make awesome pets. Thats my opinion anyway.

I would seperate them as they can get bred young. A lady I know got 2 lionhead does when they were around a month and 1/2 to two months old and one was bred.

Thanks, TinysMom!
I appreciate all of the input. I have since enlisted the help of a good friend of mine who I bought Windsor from. She is a very smart, experienced breeder who expressed the same concerns as were voiced here. Since, I have taken to keeping Win and Penny separate. They hate me for it, but I just keep telling them it's for the best.
I plan on spaying Penny because I love her so much and don't want to run the risk of anything happening to her.
However, I am purchasing a second full rex (a female this time) from my breeder friend. Her Pedigree is great, just like Win's, and I plan on breeding them when they're older.
Since Penny and Win have bonded, will it be hard for me to breed Win to another doe? Should I just get a second buck to introduce my rex doe to?

I agree that there's nothing wrong with cross-breeds. Like I said, my family is more than willing to adopt all of them; I have a large family and they all have fallen in love with my duo :)
My worry is the complications it will have on Penny; so I appreciate the advice on that account.
I would also like to say that breeding cross-breeds is not a big deal to me.
I'm worried about my Pretty Penny's health.

I'm pretty sure Win wouldn't have a problem with it. Bucks usually just focus on the job that they need to complete. Feelings aren't as big a deal unlike humans.

I dont have a problem with cross breeding just make sure you have loving homes for the litter and are able to take care of the bunnies until they can be released to their new homes.

You don't want to "introduce" your rabbits together... there's no reason in doing such since they will be seperated anyway.

Your buck will be fine with breeding a new doe. ;)

Many think that breeding crossbreds is irresponsible because there's no point in it, really, when you could breed to better purebreds. There are already thousands of mixed breds in shelters, so why breed crossbreeds?

I'm sure your family will be just as interested in purebred, pedigreed stock, as they are in crossbred rabbits. ;)

Emily

Latest posts

Back