Will the "mane" on a lionhead grow back if I cut it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of giving Barnaby a hair cut for awhile now. Nothing major, I just want to trim the long hair near his back end (his "skirt"). It's really long and he gets stuff caught in it sometimes, which really annoys him.

The reason I haven't tried it yet is because awhile ago, when I first got him, I remember reading somewhere that if you cut the wool type hair off of lionheads it sometimes doesn't grow back. Is that true? Maybe it's a stupid question. But I don't want to cut it if it's not going to grow back for some reason, in case it looks stupid or something. :p

I guess it depends on the rabbits, but I had 4 lion heads before and trimmed all of they're mane's and they grew back fine... and the "skirts"

Iagree with Luv-bunniz, my hubby trimmed Daisy Mae's Mane a while back and it actually grew longer. He wants to trim it again but i put my foot down this time. LOL The Dutchess does not like her fur trimed.

Susan:)

I wish I could shave Marlin :p. The heat here is very hot, since we don't have A/C in the house...just the swamp cooler in the bunny room, but that still doesn't cool it off as much as I would want it to be.

SOOOSKA wrote:
Iagree with Luv-bunniz, my hubby trimmed Daisy Mae's Mane a while back and it actually grew longer. He wants to trim it again but i put my foot down this time. LOL The Dutchess does not like her fur trimmed.

Susan:)
of course she doesn't like her hair trimmed by some amateur! i wouldn't either. you should take her in with you next time you get your hair done and take care of her too!

Yes it should do.

Fluffy got a tangle in her mane that I couldn't brush out. As the fur grew longer, I was able to safelysnip it out (well just-pair of scissors in one hand, wriggling rabbit held in place with my other arm and hand).

Jo xx

Okay, thanks everyone :) I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't either but I did read that somewhere awhile back.

Either way, Barnaby got his first hair cut this morning. He was very well behaved and I think he looks cute, he looks smaller now. I didn't actually cut his mane at all, just the wooly hair on his back end. I think he appreciates the new do, when I was finished he started grooming right away and looked confused at first, but after that he started running around the room doing binkies. Guess he's happy to not have a skirt anymore, lol.

I took some before and after pics! Here's before:

resized.jpg

He think's he's a dust bunny!

resize1-1.jpg

And after:

resized3.jpg

Back