Will The Fur Fly?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
Perhaps someone could offer someadvice. I will try to make a long story short. Ihave separated my male & female babies. They arebrother and sister aged nearly four months old. They startedmating about 3 or 4 weeks ago (I quickly separated them)!:) They have been living apart since. I left Star(the female) in the large hutch outside. I borrowed akennel-type cage from a friend and that cage is in my room.They have playtime everyday for about 3 to 4 hours in my big backyard,each in their own playpen. The playpens are right next toeach other so they can sniff and talk to each other. (Keep inmind that is only for a small part of the day).

They will be altered in three weeks. After the surgery, howlong will I have to keep them apart? How will I go aboutmoving them back in together? I have heard females are very,VERY terrorital. I've heard they might even fight to thedeath. I am assuming I should NOT take Shorty (my boy) toStar's hutch. I have heard rabbits should be introduced onneutral ground. Maybe I am thinking about this toohard. They do see each other everyday. They cansmell each other on me. They both know each other.Do you think the fur might fly when they move back intogether? Will there be problems with sharing food?Litter box? I know it's hard to say what will happen, but cananyone kindly offer any ideas?

Thanks so much,

Love Kricket

I would wait a full month before i put themtogether after surgery.You are right about female territory you can putthe doe in the bucks cage or better let them out somewhereneutral.bluebird

I have two bucks and a doe all sharing one (verylarge homemade) cage. All three are bonded and in love with each other.A happy bunny family.

Like Bluebird says, keep them apart for a while, as he could still gether pregnant even after surgery. When that time is passed, like yousaid, re-introduce them in a neutral territory. Hopefully, it'll belove at first sight and you will have no problems. There will be somemounting, and that is nothing sexual, it is how rabbits establish thedominant one of the group and you have to let them have at it.

It really depends on them. When I brought Abby to Chompers, he didn'tcare and it was love at first sight. When we brought Valuran into themix, it was World War Three with Abby kicking his butt. It took me twofull weeks to bond them and to get her to accept him into the herd.

If youhave fighting and problems, PM me and I'll tell youwhat I did. I feel that you will have no problems withamale/female mix. :)

I have that problem too right now, tho we can'tafford to have our bro and sis fixed at the moment. We really want themto play together, but most deffinatly (Even tho it would be cute) Donot want babies.

I feel soooo guilty and terrible for splittingthem up! :( I worry about them being lonely ALL thetime! It has been so hard to keep them apart. Sillyme, I thought we could try 'supervised' playtime, BUT, to my shock, 5seconds into this so-called supervised playtime Shortywas...ummm...mounting Star. That didn't work :?.They will not have anymore of that. heeheee

Don't feel bad, Kricket. You're doingeverything the right way. The surgery will be done before youknow it and a few weeks after that, they'll be togetherforever! I can't wait to hear how everything turnsout.

Keep us posted.

Laura

Also, keep in mind that they don't always mountto procreate. Most of the time it's to establish who is the dominantone of the group.

However, in the meantime you don't want any unwanted surprises.

Stephanie wrote:
Also, keep in mind that they don't always mount toprocreate. Most of the time it's to establish who is the dominant oneof the group.

However, in the meantime you don't want any unwanted surprises.

Awww...I guess he was just practicing??....silly wabbits

(sorry for the bump)

I've been thinking about this WAY too much! Do you think Ishould rotate them from cage to cage? One day Star is in thecage inside while Shorty is outside in the hutch. Next dayStar outside and Shorty inside??

Do you think they will have a hard time sharing food dishes andwater? What if I rotated their blankets/towels? (Sothey can smell each other) I do rotate toys...

Latest posts

Back