Will spaying my 5 year old rabbit help with her terrible litter box habits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boz

Reaction score
Domino has gotten so bad I had to put her in a smaller cage. And yet even though her litter box now takes up 1/3 of the cage she still poops and pees all over. She wasn't so bad when she was bonded with Louie and Dolla but now, omg, it's just terrible! I couldn't even have her in a pen on the floor anymore because it was just bad.

So my question, Will spaying my 5 year old rabbit, Domino help with her terrible litter box habits? She's been real bad with it her whole life, but previously I never used a litter box until a couple years ago. She never was that great though. She, however, was LOADS better when she was bonded (so that could be a factor why she's pooing/peeing all over). Will spaying help? Or by now could her habits just be set?

Just wanted your guys' opinions. :)

Thanks!

This could bemedical issue if her litter habits have changed dramatically. :?

Any other changes in her that you have noticed. ?

I am not sure if spaying her will help her toilet habits because of her age ,however she is at afaily high risk of either having or developing uterine cancer...
if she gets a clean bill of health physicallyI would have her spayed for health reasons.

Well it started right after I split up the trio. She had bad habits before Dolla and Domino bonded (just like how she's acting). I thought she had learned better habits from Dolla. :p She's acting fine otherwise, eating, drinking, begging, hopping around, pooping! Nothing off or usual.

I had my rabbit spayed when she was younger, and before, her litter box skills were terrible. It was almost an immediate change after the spay and she has put 95% of her poops in the box since then. It wouldn't hurt to get her spayed, not only because there is a chance of it helping with the litterbox issue, but for the health and behavior benefits. :)

Oh, and one thing I noticed with my rabbit which may be part of your problem...If I change her actual litterbox or move it to a different spot in her cage, she suddenly forgets how to use it. So maybe it's the change of cage or position of the box. :?

I will point out that all my guys are speutered, but if there is a very strong territorial issue present (like between my Slatey and Stuart), they will mark with poops and pees to give the other guy "what for".

Latest posts

Back