Will someone give me breed ideas on this one?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think it has some New Zealand in it? Because the babies are black and white. I was thinking something like Californian X New Zealand Black cross. She is large, and I'm not trying to say anything about the people using her for deer hunting or whatever, but that would be a really good marketer rabbit. Do you think they purposely bred her for this purpose?

Why do you people always direct me to the Cali threads..lol..

Most likely shes a Cali/NZ mutt... NZ's come in both black and white..and that would explain the babies.

As for the coloring... she just looks like a cali thats been kept outside.

Cousin Eddie's Cali's have no climate control like mine. So all of mine have rich dark points, and his are light pale grey, some are almost non existant with their point's..

The blood on her face is just from cleaning herself up.

They all look good and sturdy..

Star and Stone Rabbitry wrote:
Do you think it has some New Zealand in it? Because the babies are black and white. I was thinking something like Californian X New Zealand Black cross. She is large, and I'm not trying to say anything about the people using her for deer hunting or whatever, but that would be a really good marketer rabbit. Do you think they purposely bred her for this purpose?

New Zealand crosses are often agouti because many white New Zealands actually carry the agouti gene. That's why it is highly recommende not to mix the NZ colors).

We'll be able to tell more when the light colored babies get a little older.

I'm assuming that the alleged "Cal" (probably just a large mix) has red eyes?

Pam

pamnock wrote:

New Zealand crosses are often agouti because many white New Zealands actually carry the agouti gene. That's why it is highly recommende not to mix the NZ colors).

We'll be able to tell more when the light colored babies get a little older.

I'm assuming that the alleged "Cal" (probably just a large mix) has red eyes?

Pam

I seriously just learned something... we here ALWAYS assumed a NZ could throw a white or a black..

But.. then again...the only NZ's I deal with are Easter rejects, and I don't breed them, so it's not some common knowledge I would have at the ready.. but good to know none the less.

To me..she still looks like a Cali with summer colors...but it sure doesn't explain those babies AT ALL...

Thanks fer learnin me somethin' new Ms. Pam...lol

Of course, we don't know what daddy was, so that will add a little confusion to the mix, too. I'm looking forward to seeing what they become too, should be interesting.

GoinBackToCali wrote:
Why do you people always direct me to the Cali threads..lol..

:idea

Cause it's your job! Yep, you are the Cali Queen of RO!

*waits for Zin to ask for her crown*

JadeIcing wrote:
How about red new zealands

Reds are genetic dominant agoutis and recessive non-extension - what a mess to cross those with other NZ colors!

Steel is another wrench thrown into the mess. We got a lot of steels when breeding Satins - not an accepted variety :(

Pam

Could be a mix of almost anything- anything large. I've had NZs, Satins and Cals and I'll tell you sometimes you get the strangest things if you don't stick to the books for the Standard show rabbits. I've seen a straight NZ (crossed colors many times ie black-red, red-white, black-white) who came out with the Cal points take a BOB in Cal Specialty (not mine mind you). Also, a Cal to a copper Satin can come out with a Chinchilla or other agouti coloring- very interesting. Most times when people see the points they automatically think Cal but to tell the truth it's a color pattern, not necessarily a breed.

Latest posts

Back