Will she have more babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laluna

Reaction score
Ok, first off Hazel (flemish giant doe) broke into Olly's (mini rex buck) metal cage...and well...they did the nasty.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad248/tylirthetiger/Mobile%20Uploads/0627101431-01.jpg

she looks like she's going to pop. she was over a week due, and only had three kits yesterday. one was a peanut/still born, but the other two are healthy little buggers. they're gorgeous and have awesome coloring. she's being an awesome momma and she nursed them this morning at 5 am and last night around 4:30pm.

she aborted two kits about three months ago, but this was an accidental pregnancy.

is it possible she can have more within the next day or so?

it's not fat. i'm 100% sure.

any help would be awesome. i worked for a flemish giant for over a year, but this is my first time with my own litter.

Well she could be retaining fetuses but to be honest...for her to be that big still is scary. Isn't that a bad sign? Can you palpitate for head count?

Yikes! she does still look huge. I would be worried.

She could pass the remaining kits in the next few days but it's not very likely that she will. If she does, then you have nothing to worry about. But if she doesn't, one of two things will happen.

1. The kits will rot inside her body and become toxic and kill her, or

2. The kits will become mummified inside her uterus and if she gets bred again they might pass with her next litter.

It's your call, but either she needs to go to the vet and get those babies taken out if she doesn't have them in the next few days, or after her current kits are all grown up and gone you can breed her again and hope they come out.

lelanatty wrote:
Yikes! she does still look huge. I would be worried.

She could pass the remaining kits in the next few days but it's not very likely that she will. If she does, then you have nothing to worry about. But if she doesn't, one of two things will happen.

1. The kits will rot inside her body and become toxic and kill her, or

2. The kits will become mummified inside her uterus and if she gets bred again they might pass with her next litter.

It's your call, but either she needs to go to the vet and get those babies taken out if she doesn't have them in the next few days, or after her current kits are all grown up and gone you can breed her again and hope they come out.

I agree with this 100%. I wouldn't risk breeding her again if they are still in there, this could really damage her.

I agree with this 100%. I wouldn't risk breeding her again if they are still in there, this could really damage her.
Actually it may be worth it. I have a doe right now that I am doing that with. However she only has one baby inside her, she is a netherland dwarf. But for a flemish giant which normally has 12 babies, still having that many inside her it is probably not going to work very well. they will continue to grow until they die. The vet would probably be the best option for her.

If there are dead babies still there and they rot inside her then she could go downhill very fast, so keep a close eye on her and if she seems sick at all then it'd be best to take her to the vet straight away.

Ge4t her to the vet asap and see if they can give her a shot of oxytosin to help her pass the rest of the litter. Have you pulpated? If she still had babies you would be able to feel the heads on them. They would feel like little round balls.Do you have any wild raspberrys growing on your property? if so feed her some of thel eaves. It will help her pass the kits. Was she with he buck after she was bred? Some does can breed while pregnant and become 'pregnant' with a second litter growing in the other uterus horn.

Latest posts

Back