Will rabbits return to their hutch on their own?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kukupecpec

Reaction score
I recently built a new run for my chickens that includes the rabbit hutch. They have always loved hanging out underneath the rabbits because the buns have a misting system so it's nice a cool down there.
I was wondering if I built a ramp for Bugsy and Red out of their hutch and into the chicken run (which is fully enclosed, safe from predators) if they would return to their hutch on their own, or if they would just do whatever. I'm still new to rabbits so I'm not super familiar with their behavior.

I would love to give them the extra space to run around on like the energetic bunnies they are! But their food and water will still be in the hutch so the chickens can't get to it.

This is their hutch - lots of changes have been made since this picture including the bunny inhabitants, but you can see the general build of the hutch, the underside is now all enclosed and attached to the chicken run so the ramp would lead under their hutch
IMG_20130510_092037_333.jpg

Bugsy and Red =)
IMG_20130918_122238_326.jpg

I don't know if they'd come back but I expect they will as long as their food and water are there. Would the rabbits be running around with the chickens or separately?

I keep the door to Sophie's condo open pretty much all day and into the evening. She almost always goes back in herself, which is usually around midnight or 1am. I'm not sure if them being outdoors would change that or not. I think as long as they have their food and water in the hutch and it feel safe to them, they would return. Unless you had no fence lol.

I wouldn't let the rabbits out with the chickens. The risk of the rabbits getting cocciodiosis is really high because of chicken poop. I personally, would not put my chickens and my rabbit in the same place because of that.
And if the rabbits can get into the hutch by the ramp, then the chickens can get into the hutch by the ramp.
Plus sometimes chickens can be aggressive and they're known to peck and pick at other chickens. And they possibly could peck at the rabbits possibly injuring them.

I wouldn't let the rabbits run around where the chickens were either. If you wanted to do a rabbit run, you would need to fence off an area for the rabbits ONLY and make sure the chickens didn't get into it.

I don't know if rabbits have homing skills, but I would assume that they would go back into the cage because its their "safe place". My rabbit goes into a corner in the kitchen when she gets scared. I don't know if I would just leave them out all day long though, while you weren't out there with them.

They would be running around together. I know lots of people locally who house their chickens and rabbits together, but their rabbits don't have an actual hutch, they just roam around the run and have hidey places around the yard. Red is for breeding so I want her to have a place that is all her own and totally safe that I can keep her nesting box.
The chickens are all large fowl so they wouldn't actually fit in the opening into the rabbit hutch, they could climb on the ramp but they wouldn't fit through the door. The rabbits could not get into the chicken coop because they do NOT have a ramp, they just fly up in to the window, the door remains closed unless I need to go in, so the chicken stuff would be safe from the rabbits. Cocci should really only be an issue if my chickens are unhealthy, and even then, the chickens jump up on the rabbit hutch so if they were to have it, the rabbits could catch it anyway.
I'm not so much worried about the chickens and the rabbits together as the rabbits figuring out where their "home" is versus their "run".
My buns sorta walk the line between production animals and pets, so their situation is a little different from a pet bunny, even though I spend lots of time playing with them and they are super duper friendly.

Back