Will my rabbits lick my salt lamp?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YashiJ

Reaction score
So I’ve heard of salt licks. Are they bad for a rabbits health? My mom has a large Himalayan salt lamp lying on the floor as decoration. Will my rabbit start to eat or lick it? And if so is it bad for them?

i would just move it off the floor in case haha

I probably will. Another question. We have this huge ZZ plant in our house that my mom really loves. It’s supposed to be toxic to rabbits and I asked my mom to move it outside. It can survive outside but she doesn’t want to get it out of the house. We haven’t got our rabbits yet and I’m scared that if I keep arguing she’s going to change her mind. It took me 4 months to get her to agree and now i don’t know what to do. Any ways to have the plant co exist? I really don’t want to risk it. It’s in our living room so I can’t block it off. She doesn’t want to move it anywhere else.

We have placed all the plants up on a small table, our huge tree have a small table with wheels. Just so we can move it and keep it out of reach from the bunnies ☺️

Then we move all our plants to one area and section that area off from the bunnies.

My mom doesn’t want to move it 😔 and she doesn’t want to section it off bc it would look bad in the living room

Attachments

• D95BAA11-5276-4294-8C08-EB512ACB61F0.jpeg
    D95BAA11-5276-4294-8C08-EB512ACB61F0.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 6
then tell her she will get charged for rabbit abuse and ignorance if she don want to mve the plant.... its ugly anyways oop

She’ll tell me to not have them free roam then because I have a small room to them. She’s had it for a while and I get why she likes it so much but ufff

You’ll just have to not allow the rabbit to free roam that area then. Is your room too small to keep the rabbit there only?

They might lick the lamp if they need salt, and ignore it otherwise, like every other salt lick - which are a very common item for rabbits, other pets and lifestock.

I offer mine a block of stone salt now and then, most of the time it is completly ignored.

There's that story on the internet about a cat with some disorder that licked too much salt, well, that doesn't mean that salt licks are a danger.

Hm, we're talking about one of those stone salt blocks ("himalayan" is just marketing, it's not from there) with a light bulb in it, right?

The plant could be in danger though, I don't know what it is or if it's in fact toxic (not everything on those lists is a problem in reality), there aren't that many that can knock a rabbit out of it's boots. If it's the only forage available I would be cautious, if just for the plants sake.

Last edited:
You’ll just have to not allow the rabbit to free roam that area then. Is your room too small to keep the rabbit there only?
Yes it’s pretty small. It’s a large closet(7ft *7ft and a doorway. I want them to have more space

I actually asked my mom if we could elevate the plant so that they can’t reach it but I’m worried about the leaves that fall. There are about 3 on the floor at all times

Back