Will My Dog's Flea Collar Make My Rabbit Sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
This may be a silly question but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I would never put a flea collar on my rabbit, however, I am looking to purchase a Seresto collar for my dog who appears to be highly allergic to fleas. The sentinel is just not cutting it by itself.

So this leaves me with the question of whether or not the collar would somehow make my rabbit sick should he come in close proximity of the collar. My rabbit is a free range house bunny and both he and the dog do somewhat interact with each other.

I am not too educated about flea collars other than I read that they emit a gas and secrete a chemical residue through the skin.

That being said, could the collar make my bunny sick?

Last edited:
I would think if your rabbit were to ingest any of it, that it could possibly be harmful. For the ingredients in it, imidacloprid(Advantage) is considered safe for external use on rabbits, but not ingestion, and the other, flumethrin doesn't really have any info on it's safety concerning rabbits. What about using Revolution(selamectin) spot on treatment? It's considered rabbit safe, in case if for some reason your bun came into contact or ingested any of it. Though if your bun grooms your dog at all, you would probably need to give it some time to absorb before letting your bun be around your dog, to make sure not much is ingested by your bun as well as making sure it will be effective for your dog. The one flea treatment that you do want to completely avoid is Frontline(fipronil), as this is confirmed to be toxic to rabbits.

It might be a good idea to talk to a good rabbit vet to see what would be safest to use on your dog, with your bun being around him. I'm just not very familiar with the safety of collars, when they are used on other pets in the home and the rabbit coming in contact with it.

I wouldn't recommend revolution for dogs. Especially if your state has issues with heartworm as it is not very effective. I definitely wouldn't let the rabbit injest the collar. The good thing with the seresto collars is they are removable. You may want to check with the vet but maybe you can just remove the collar whenever the dog is around the bunny. Reason to check with the vet is just in case there's always access and I would make sure the collar is still effective. Just a suggestion

Latest posts

Back