Will i make Austin ill?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Em

Reaction score
i just found out a few days ago that i have theMumps its been going around alot lately and i was wondering if rabbitscatch human illnesses? it isn't very nice and quite painful for me so idont want to think about what it would be like for Austin if he couldcatch it. i have been keeping away from him just in case he could catchit but i just wanted to check . all i want to do is snuggle up with himbut i dont want to make him ill. any help much appreciated

Wow, Don't you have the MMR vaccine there? Measils, Mumps, Rubbella?

I had them when I was young, but I hadn't had my MMR yet and now we getthem for our children so young, I haven't heard of a case of Mumpssince I had them as a child!

I am not sure on this one. Our vet says we shouldn't be ableto pass illness on to the rabbits, but some people feel you can.

Personally, with something as serious as Mumps, I would avoid him asmuch as possible. I would use a mask or something if you haveto handle him and wash your hands with really good anti-bacterial soapbeforehand.

I'm sorry you are ill. Do you have it on both sides of your neck?

i did have the MMR jab as a child but there is so much of it going around here.

i only have one side up at the mo but it hurts soooo much im not sleeping so im also very tired!

my boyfriend is giving Austin all the cuddles i just hope he isnt toomad with me when i get better. i miss our snuggles very much and cantwait till i can hold him again im gonna snuggle him to death! wellmaybe not to death but alot! hehe

im kinda glad i joined the forum as you are the only ones i cancomunicate with, i cant talk without alot of pain so typing on here isgood.

Em wrote:
i was wondering if rabbits catch human illnesses?
no, i would be amazed if Austin got mumps from you;)But, for you it sounds HORRIBLE! hope you get bettersoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onlychimps, gorillas, orangutans, etc.(the Pongid family) are believed to be susceptible to MM&R, sovaccines are recommended for those animals.

Most certainly hope you are feeling well soon Em :(

Pam

Aww hope you are feeling better soon. Mumps is such a horrible thing to have.

Bo we kind of have an epidemic of Mumps at the moment as there is a lotof controversy over the MMR jabgivingchildrenautism. I have given Alyssa herMMRand Caitlyn will have it. Measles, Mumps andRubella can kill children and some wouldn't agree over here, but Iwouldn't take the risk with my girls!

Vickie

DaisyNBuster wrote:
Aww hope you are feeling better soon. Mumps is such a horrible thing to have.

Bo we kind of have an epidemic of Mumps at the moment as there is a lotof controversy over the MMR jabgivingchildrenautism. I have given Alyssa herMMRand Caitlyn will have it. Measles, Mumps andRubella can kill children and some wouldn't agree over here, but Iwouldn't take the risk with my girls!

Vickie

I was under the impression that they have decided there is no link tothe vaccination causing autism and that they are just more aware ofwhat the signs and symptoms of autism are so they can diagnosis it at ayounger age.

I believe I will do my research paper on the correlation betweenvaccinations and autism. Certainly an interesting subject. All mychildren have been vaccinated as have I with no ill effects, except forwith theChickenpox Vaccine.

Em, I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Fergi's mom

Fergi wrote:
DaisyNBuster wrote:
Aww hopeyou are feeling better soon. Mumps is such a horrible thing to have.

Vickie

I was under the impression that they have decided there is no link tothe vaccination causing autism and that they are just more aware ofwhat the signs and symptoms of autism are so they can diagnosis it at ayounger age.

I believe I will do my research paper on the correlation betweenvaccinations and autism. Certainly an interesting subject. All mychildren have been vaccinated as have I with no ill effects, except forwith theChickenpox Vaccine.

Fergi's mom
You know, we have had them also, all of us, except the Chickenpox vaccine. My hubby, me and son have all had the pox but mygirl hasn't. She's going to get the vaccine thisyear. Our doc feels it's not going to last long enough and itwill have to be readministered every 10 years or so. However,she'll be in puberty soon enough and that's more dangerous to her atthis point.

Fergi wrote:
DaisyNBuster wrote:

Vickie

Fergi's mom

You are correct, the incidence of autism has not increased, just thediagnosis rate. We are slowly learning more and more aboutthis illness and with the learning comes better methods for diagnosis.

Jen

cirrustwi wrote:
Fergi wrote:
DaisyNBuster wrote:

Vickie

Fergi's mom

You are correct, the incidence of autism has not increased, just thediagnosis rate. We are slowly learning more and more aboutthis illness and with the learning comes better methods for diagnosis.

Jen
It had been decided that there was no link. However some people still don't trust the doctors judgements.

When all the trouble was going on Alyssahad hersbut I know a lot of her nursery friends haven't had theirs.

It has been proven that there is no link but people still aren'tletting their children have it. This is why we have had the largenumber of cases of Mumps, Measels and Rubella over here at the moment.At least I know that Alyssa is protected and Caitlyn will be when sheis old enough.

Vickie

Here, In private schools they won't allow thekids in without them. In public ones I think you can forcethem to let the kids in but it's hard to do.

There are a lot of other concerns besidesautism that cause people to reconsider vaccines. I'm not saying I won'tvax my kids, but at the very least, their vaccines will be delayed,selective, and spaced apart. Just my humble opinion :)

National Vaccine Information Center

And Em, hope you feel better soon. Since we're across the ocean, I figure it's safe to give you a *hug* ;)

m.e. wrote:
Thereare a lot of other concerns besides autism that cause people toreconsider vaccines. I'm not saying I won't vax my kids, but at thevery least, their vaccines will be delayed, selective, and spacedapart. Just my humble opinion :)

It is really scary actually andI can understand concerns thatall parents face. Our Health Visitor is funny though and was reallynasty when I had concerns over Alyssa having hers. She more or lessmade me feel like I was a bad Mum for even thinking about thepossibility of not giving it her.

Vickie

DaisyNBuster wrote:
m.e. wrote:
There are alot of other concerns besides autism that cause people toreconsider vaccines. I'm not saying I won't vax my kids, but at thevery least, their vaccines will be delayed, selective, and spacedapart. Just my humble opinion :)

It is really scary actually andI can understand concerns thatall parents face. Our Health Visitor is funny though and was reallynasty when I had concerns over Alyssa having hers. She more or lessmade me feel like I was a bad Mum for even thinking about thepossibility of not giving it her.

Vickie

Oh, I know! Even parents that vaccinate, but don't do it "according toschedule" (rather, they space the vaxes out) get chewed out by theirdoctors, discriminated against by insurance companies, schools, evenadoption agencies!(despite the fact that theirchildren are medically cleared and perfectly healthy :X)

I really hope we can't make our bunnies ill withour human germs. But then again nobody on here has said adefinite NO.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Mumps is very nasty.

:(

It's highly unlikely that it would becontagious. Viruses and illnessare rarely able to adapt andjump between twovery different species;)

Latest posts

Back