Will her ear stay like this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleandThumper

Reaction score
Hello! Willow is a mini rex/ mini lop crossbreed when I got her both ears were lopped and they stayed that way for almost a week, about two days ago one ear started going up. Will her ear say that way? Or will the ear go back down again? Also is there any way I can encourage her ear to go back down? ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1391394224.854838.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1391394244.325259.jpg

Same thing with my minilop mix boys when they were young. Right now she can control her ears, so she's the one choosing to put it up. It probably goes down when she relaxes and goes up when she wants to listen to something. As she gets older, her crown may develop further until she loses ear control entirely, causing her ears to be permanently down.

Whether it does or not, appreciate the lop-sided ears! It's HELLA cute, and I was wistfully sad when my quirky one-ear-up-one-ear-down boys became fully lopped.

Last edited:
She is still young, so still developing. Lop mixes can have a fair amount of ear control, especially when they are young, but some keep it as adults. The lopping of the ears is due to the crown, which is the cartilage on the head. You can't change this, so can't make the ears lop or stand. Wait until she is around 6 months and see what her ears are like then, that is probably what they will be like since that is the age when most rabbits are considered adults and done most of their growing.

Yeah I don't know how to delete that thread. I posted a new one because I still had questions and it was a half different question. The previous thread was asking if her ear could become unlopped. This one is asking if her ear will just stay up. I ask questions more than once because at certain times less people respond and sometimes I don't get all my questions answered

You can reply to the thread you already made, that way we can keep track of new developments and it will be much easier to help you.

There is absolutely no need to post multiple topics for the same question. Yes that is the same question.
If you have further questions about it, post in the topic you have all ready created.
People will reply if and when they know the answer. "When" you post the topic has nothing to do with it. People on here have regular lives as well they must attend to before they come on here and answer posts. This ear thing is NOT an emergency and getting replies in a timely matter is not urgent or important.
Your previous thread was answered correctly.
Please read through our forum rules.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f39/rabbitsonline-forum-policy-decorum-10320/

Okay! I'm still getting used to this site and I'm new so I still don't know the ins and outs but thank you for the information and rules link, I didn't know that I could simply edit my question and I thought at certain times through out the day more users will be on. I know it's not an emergency but I was just hoping to get an answer since Google never gives me any answers. You guys are the ones I turn to for help. When I got this account it took me an hour to figure out how to post a thread hahah but thanks for the information!:)

Omg she's soo cute! My bunny's ears sometimes look crooked too. I never thought of it as a bad thing. however I'm a new bunny mommy so I'm still learning..

The first rabbit I owned I was told was a mini lop, mini Rex & lion head.
When we first got Simon both his ears were down. Over time one went up & stayed up.
I was told this was called...helicopter ears. :)
Some buns ears will go this way & some won't.

I was told the bun I have now, Sloane... Looks like maybe there is Dutch is in her. I was told she is a "mini lop".
I see her put one ear up every now and again.

Our girl Lilli is not a mini anything at 13 pounds. She a lop and something mix and is one of the longest bunnies ever. Her ears stick almost strait out, with one being just slightly lower than the other--looks like a plane taxiing on the runway for take off. Maybe or maybe not--have some that never lopped too. Stewart was a Netherland and lop cross--he looked like a Giant Netherland except for very long ears that stood strait.

I looked into this when I first got Gandalf as his ears were one up and one down. He is a lion lop and from what I read all lop mixes tend to have better control over their ears when they are young, some of them flop down but occasionally a rabbit will have one ear up and one ear down. I confess I actually looked into it because I adore Gandalf with his lop sided ears and was hoping they would stay that way, which they have. He has a lot of mobility in his sticking-up ear - he can lay it along his back, stick it right up or put it to the side so it almost flops down like his lop ear. It gives him so much character I love it.

That's a hard one... My friend had a lion faced lop and her ears were down, then they went one up one down and then they stayed up permanently. However the one up and one down ears also suggests they're happy as I read in a rabbit behaviour book, my rabbits have up right ears and do it all the time! And no there's not really a way of making them stay down without bugging your bunny.

Latest posts

Back