Wildfire goes for spay tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
Well Wildfire goes in for a spay tomorrow morning... I always knew she'd be spayed so she could live a nice long life with out the risk of cancer, and so she can have a friend. I decide to not breed her any more because there are just no shows that are close to me, so I can't afford to breed for show and I don't want to breed irresponsably. So now I'm going to foster pregnant moms for SARS (Small Animal Rescue of BC).

I've read all I can off this site, from the Bunny 101 and such, but I'm still nervous.

So here's what info I've gleaned...

1. Keep warm. I'm going to make up some rice socks tonight and I'll stick the heating pad under Wildfires cage.

2. Keep clean. So the cages will get a good cleaning tonight and tomorrow night when they get home

3. Monitor for pain. The vet gives a pain shot that last ~24hrs.

4. Provide yummy food to tempt to eat (they should eat within 24hrs after op or call vet)

Okay, so anything else I should prepare?

I'm really nervous as I've never had any rabbits have surgury before and now I've got 4 going in.

The boys are about 9 weeks old now, and their testicles have just started to decend so we've (me and SARS) decided to get them in to get snipped so I won't have to seperate them.

Sigh... Send me some good thoughts!! I'm going to need them.

--Dawn

Good Luck to you and your babies. You sound like you are more than prepared.

Just keep an eye on them, which im sure you will, and they should be fine. Ive had 3 neutered and twojust came home and wanted to be left alone to lay around. My Mr. Tumnus, aka Crazy boy, wanted to be out of his cage to jump around (which I definitely didnot let him do!).

You'll have your hands full, but sounds like you are all prepared. What a good mommy!

Letme know how it goes. Lots of prayers for you and your babies:pray:

-Haley

Dawn, you are on top of it!

The only thing Jordi would eat is alfalfa hay for what that's worth.

I'll be thinking of you and your babies! How old are your fosterbabies now?

Well I dropped everyone off at the vets this morning.

It was so hard to hand Wildfire over... She's going to be so mad at me tonight. I feel so bad, but I know it's for the best.

They don't know if they'll be able to get the boys snipped or not, but they'll try. The boys might just be too young.

I'm going to be biting my nails till the doctor calls.

--Dawn

Okay, everybun is back and doing okay. Just got home 15 minutes ago...

The boys are acting like nothing happened...lol... I guess they didn't have their little man parts for long enough to miss them. But it's really nice that I don't have to separate the fosters now.

Wildfire is still very groggy and hasn't eaten yet (well her dried plum doesn't really count, she'd have to be dead to refuse that). She's currently snuggled between two toasty rice socks.

Pictures can be found here: http://dawn.neucode.org/gallery/v/Post+Op/

So now we just have to wait for Wildfire to decide if she wants to eat hay (Timothy or Alfalfa), carrot, or parsley... I made a nice little buffet pile right in front of her nose.

--Dawn

Aww. what a good mommy :) They are lucky to have you. Glad to here everyone is doing well! I hope you can get some sleep tonight and not worry to much about all your little babies!

Keep up the good work!

-Haley

Aw, Wildfire looks so tired between those rice socks. I'm sure she's nice and warm, though! Great that she's doing well, and that the boys seem to bedoing better than ever! I didn't think they could be neutered that early... I was planning on waiting until about 12 weeks or maybe even later!

The boys are a really small breed. Mom is probably only 2 pounds. So they matured rather quickly. The testicles hadn't quite descended all the way, but just enough for the doctor to tease to the surface to remove.

If a bunnies testicles have descended, then as far as I know, they can be neutered.

The biggest reason we neutered these guys so soon was so that they didn't have to be seperated from Mom and sisters while they wait for adoption. If circumstances had been different, they probably would have been neutered later.

--Dawn

Wildfire still hadn't eaten anything this morning, so I had to syringe her some pellet slurry. She did well and ate about 10cc of it. Hopefully the pain meds will kick in and allow her to feel not quite so miserable.

I'm so scared to hurt her when I pick her up, but she seemed to do okay.

She spent most of the night, from what I could tell, in her litter box. So I cleaned it out this morning in case she wants to sit in it all day today.

Now the boys are acting like nothing happened. I managed to sneak a peak at two of them, and a bit swollen but looking good.

Should I let them out to run around today? I kept everyone in the cage yesterday to try to keep the activity to a minimum, but they're still zipping around like crazy.

--Dawn

I think letting them out would be okay if it was supervised. Make sure they're not doing anything fancy, like jumping etc. Im sure you know...:) I let my boys out the day after their neuter, but they werent too active or anything. They basically just layed around. Just keep an eye on them if they're out.

Good Luck!

Haley

Wildfire ate a little bit of broccoli ,parsley and hay! I held some different foods up to her mouth when I got home today, and she took a few bites of broccoli and then ate a whole piece of parsley. She then ate a little bit of alfalfa.

I gave her one syringe of pellet slurry that was watered down (3cc) just to make sure she's getting enough.

When I give her the pain medication, should I syringe her another dose of pellet slurry to make sure her tummy doesn't get upset?

I also got the chance to see her incision, and it's quite small. Only about an inch long, and runs up and down, not side to side like I thought it would.

--Dawn

That sounds pretty good!

If you want, you could mix the pain meds into a small amount of the slurry and feed it that way. Otherwise yeah, it's best to make sure she's eating a little bit before and after you give the pain med.

Well, I woke up to find her munching on the little pile of alfalfa hay I left for her, most of the carrot and carrot top gone (there was about an inch of carrot and a really long top), and I could tell she'd eaten a bit of pellets.

I gave her the pain meds followed by one syringe (3cc) of pellet slurry just to make sure she had enough food in her tummy to not get upset by the meds.

I think I only have one dose of the pain meds left, which I think will work out well because she seems to be doing much better.

She also has been sitting on her shelf alot lately. Which she almost never does. It's not too high, so hopefully she's not hurting her tummy when she jumps up.

I'm so excited that she's doing so well.

--Dawn

Back