Wild rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryAnne

Reaction score
Ok this may be a dumb question. But I see that some of you have wild rabbits. I was wondering where/how I might be able to get some wild rabbits at my summer home. We had three the first year I was there, but none now. Can I put something on Craigs list saying drop them off? Is that mean to the buns? Can I help them survive at all?

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Mary Anne

If the environment is right for them, you should have them in MD. If they are not there, it is likely that the environment just won't support rabbits- or not a large enough population that you notice them often.

So no, I wouldn't suggest relocating wild rabbits to your area.

Hi OakRidge, thanks for the reply. The summer home is actually in PA. I wouldn't relocate them far, like 10-20 miles maybe.

Would not relocate any. However, you need to remember that rabbits are usually not out in the daytime--more like dawn and dusk. We use to put out apples at our summer home to attract deer--might use something like that to make them a little more visible without interfering with the environment too much.

I wouldn't relocate at all. Some populations of animals are ammuned to things, you relocate and they could pick up something new, that the animals there are immuned to, but they are not.

You could look into creating habitat that would pull in more wild rabbits. But with this you have to be VERY careful, not to over populate and such.

this is just from a wildlife study standpoint.

Oh ok, my comment definitely stands for PA then because I'm in PA and see them pretty often. So if they're not around, it is probably just not a good environment for them, unfortunately.

you also don't want to bring new animals into an already "claimed" eniroment. if the other rabbits are there still they will kill the new ones as they would be seen as a threat encroaching on their territory.

Crystal

you could always put a big brush pile nearby, a great hiding spot. then have a garden out there? would attract the wild bunnies and make them more daring so you see more of them

to the above statement...there is more to making a safe habitat for animals then just that. You've really really really got to look into it before just throwing something that iwll aattract alot, but in the end cause more problems.

Not to mention, if you have neighbors who have stuff like that... they may not want rabbits tearing up their stuff. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back