Wild rabbits mating with domestic rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetegocalderon

Reaction score
I was just curious to know if it was possiblefor a domesticated rabbit to produce a litter with a wildrabbit? (Please note: I'm not trying to attempt anything likethis I am just merely curious.) I just want to get an idea asto how different wild rabbits are from domesticated ones.Thanks. :cool:

I know others will able to provide more detail -but the short answer is, in N. America, no. They could mate, but theycan't reproduce - different number of chromosomes, etc.

In Europe, it's entirely possible for this to happen - kits - becausewild and domesticated rabbits are of the same species, oryctolaguscunniculus [sp??].

:yeahthat

The cottontail and the domestic are capable of mating and the I believethe egg can actually be fertilized, but because of the different # ofchromosomes, it cant survive or attach to the uterine wall oranything...

Quite interesting! Here it happens every now andthen, you'll see people advertising babies that are half wild and halfdomestic even though it's aillegal to sell a live wild rabbit or a babybred from one (for pet perposes). We only have the european rabbit hereas far as I know.

Where my partner works there are heaps of wild rabbits and they run inand out from under the timber piles all the time, he has seen a coupleof domestic bunnies there too that have gone pretty wild and I assumethey are all mating with eachother. It's weird seeing wild animals inan industrial area.

Hmmm, I did not know that. I had a doe that gotloose a while bakc, and lived like a wild bunny (except for coming into eat the feed I was putting out for her, of course!) for somethinglike a month before I was able to catch her again. Here I was allparanoid about her coming back pregnant, guess I didn't need to worry!LOL

Back