Wild Rabbit with severe eye trauma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahClaire1111

Reaction score
I recently saw a wild rabbit on side of the road and his eye was bloody. I've worked with animals before so i managed to catch him and i took him home. My husband is and Emt so he was able to clean the eye with saline and i bought microcynAh which is safe for rabbits to prevent infection. His eye still looks really bad and i can't afford to take him to the vet. He is still eating well but I've completely fallen for him and named him Odin and i just don't want to loose him. Any advise would be really appreciated. He must be really hurting because he let me hold him. Thank you.

I have noticed that wild rabbits do not do well in captivity, well taken care of or not. I would look for a wildlife rescue near you and tell them what happened and what you have done so far to help him. Please do not try to keep him let him go to the rescue.
(352)299‐7344 Pamela Roseman. This is a local wildlife rehabilitator in Ocala, Florida. Call her and see where you can take him or if she can take him somewhere.

If he is an actual wild species of rabbit, you need to find a local wildlife rehabber and contact them, as it is likely not legal in your state for non licensed persons to care for native wildlife. The rehabber will make sure the rabbit gets the proper veterinary attention and is released back into the wild.
https://myfwc.com/media/5423/licensedwildliferehabilitatorsbyregion.pdf
https://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/wildlife/injured-orphaned/
https://myfwc.com/contact/fwc-staff/regional-offices/

If he is a feral domesticated rabbit, he needs proper veterinary attention. If you can't provide that then I would suggest contacting your local shelter or humane society so this rabbit will get the proper medical care that he needs. There is a rabbit rescue in Gainesville that may be able to assist you and know where the best place is to take him.
http://www.gainesvillerabbitrescue.org/

Last edited:
You’re not really helping him at all by keeping him with you when you can’t affors proper medical care. Like the others said, see if you can hand him over to someone who can give him the care he needs.
If he was on the side of the road he could have any sort of traffic related injury, they would ideally need to do X-rays to make sure everything is fine internally. He also needs pain medication.

First of all, <3 the name Odin! My husband went nuts over that, lol.

Pain can be a big issue for rabbits - pain can make both animals and humans not want to eat. In a cat or dog, that's not immediately life-threatening... in a rabbit, however, it very quickly becomes a medical emergency because of their unique digestive system. It's good that he's eating well, but that can easily change. As others have mentioned, he may also have internal damage that you aren't able to see - in the wild, rabbits' lives depend on their ability to hide signs of weakness.

As others have mentioned, the thing to do in this situation is definitely to start contacting local shelters/rescues and find someone who is able to rehabilitate him and get him a full battery of tests/medical attention. If you ask, I imagine most places would be willing to let you keep in touch to check in on how he's doing. Get well soon, little Odin!

Thank you for all your advise i have gotten him vet attention turns out my husband's aunt has experience with rehabbing and treating rabbits and she is a vet tech. She said considering the circumstances he's doing really well. Thank you again.

Being a vet tech doesn’t make you qualified to diagnose or treat an animal. I would want to find out the reason for all that blood, and I would be really worried that he was hit by a car. Rabbits are very stoical, especially wild rabbits, so you might not realise the pain he is in. He still needs to see a qualified vet who can hopefully prescribe some pain medication and give a proper clinical exam.

I helped an injured wild rabbit that was obviously hit by a car. I contact CROW in my area. They picked him up, and euthanized him due to blindness from injury in one eye. Apparently, they said he would not survive in the wild. I felt horrible! Today, rescued another on the side of side of the road. I'm keeping him safe, while he self heals. Seems to be doing well so far. I'll have a vet check him before i release. Vets today are like physicians..hospice, palliative care, euthanize are an easier solution then helping.

No, vets are just realistic. It is not good welfare to keep a wild animal in captivity for a long time to “heal”, when they still might not survive long in the wild if not 100% healthy. Best to be seen by a vet sooner rather than later.

Back