Wild or Domestic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Someone on my bird board has found this bunnyoutside. I can't tellone bun from another. Is this a domestic or wild bunny? I assume it's domestic, if it is they should bring it inside right?

Thanks,

Megan

trash.jpg

It's a domestic rabbit andwill probably do fine outside. I would highly recommend a vet examine it and also do a fecal check for parasites before considering bringing it inside.

Pam

Is the bunny running around free outside?? I hope not. Maybe its someone's lost pet. It sure is cute.

Cristy

Megan, here is agood rule of thumbandanyonewho is interestedonthedifference of aWildRabbit ( hare) or adomestic rabbit

wildhare2.jpg

If You notice thewild rabbit tends to have alonger face with a more narrow skull and face, much longer back legsand a less defined chestandforefront.Not onlydo they have a much more streamlined body, they alsohave much larger eyes, nearly 2 times thesize of adomesticrabbit. It'sfor farther distance seeing and nighttimevision. Theears arespacedcloser togetherandaremoreopen towardthe topforbetterinline soundcontrol.Lol Not that I havedone muchresearchonWild rabbits lol .

I saw a hare for sell in a pet store one time.It was the weirdest thing! It was 3 or 4 times bigger the otherbunnies, a really long sleek body, and mean too!! How did a hare end upin a pet store???

There are other wild bunnies Gypsy, like cotton tail etc... ;)

The domestic hare breed, the "Belgian Hare" isnot a true hare. The are rather rare now, so perhaps it wasjust a rabbit resembling the Belgian Hare.

However, it is possible that someone caught a wild hare and put it up for sale at the pet store :(

Pam

pamnock wrote:
It's a domestic rabbit andwill probably do fineoutside. I would highly recommend a vet examine it and alsodo a fecal check for parasites before considering bringing it inside.

Pam

It's running free outside, that is ok?

Megan

chiquita090 wrote:
I saw a hare for sell in a pet store one time. It was theweirdest thing! It was 3 or 4 times bigger the other bunnies, a reallylong sleek body, and mean too!! How did a hare end up in a pet store???

There are other wild bunnies Gypsy, like cotton tail etc... ;)
I am not disputing thatthere are other Wild rabbits ,BUT! in the Northern United Statesmost hares and cotton tails in the wild never get over the 3to 4 pound weight due to preditor devistation, Even at best a cottontail will weigh nearto 5 pounds ,especially in thisarea maybe some desertor mountain hares get over the 3 to5 lb range it is very rarein the northern climates.

I am Not about to sit here andargue with anyone about it readit all foryourself , do like I did researcheverything you can on Wild Rabbits itsall on the test one would take to be awild life rehabilitator Geesh.

This bunny is in Southern CA, is anyone thereinterested in taking her?? They said they can pet her, but not pick herup. The lady said her husband laid his head on her and she just kepteating!! LOL

Megan

Here are some examples of wild hares and rabbits in the US:
Snowshoe hare:

3307_2_snowshoe_hare.jpg

Cottontail rabbit:

cottontail_II.jpg

Jack Rabbit (true hare):

ML_Rabbit_Jack.jpg

Swamp Rabbit (southern US -- known to swim):

03060411.jpg

Pygmy Rabbit (Western US):

pygmy.jpg

Brush Rabbit (Western US):

CAL33-JR-Rabbit.jpg

Please don't leave her outside. You cancontact the House Rabbit Society and they can refer you to a no killshelter in the area.

I wish I was closer I would take her in a second.

Tina

Ok I just wanted to clarify what you said. Ialready recommended that they try to contain the rabbit until it can betaken bya rescue.

Megan

Pam thank you the pictures. IguessI never thought of all the different types of hares andrabbits living wild here.

I just found another bunny to add to my I want list:

03060411.jpg

l love the coloring and those ears are adorable.

I have never seen a real jack rabbit before.:shock::shock:Not at all what I expected. It's so skinny, itneeds to come to my house so we put some weight on him.:p

ML_Rabbit_Jack.jpg

Thanks so much Pam. mom always said you learn something new every day and thanks to this forum it's true.

Meagan, any idea how much she weighs. She looks good sized but pictures can be a bit decieving at times.

Tina

Back