wild newborn bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzylittlewabbit

Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the right place for this. But... My Boyfriend was mowing the yard and came across a baby bunny the doesnt have its eyes open or any fur. It also has some very light cuts not at all deep. One of the cats did get out as he was about to mow. So the only way that the baby bun could have gotten moved in the middle of the yard was by the cat.

I have put ther baby in a cat carrier with some old pillow caes, to keep it warm. We do have some goat or kitten replacer. Does any one have any expearince on how to raise wild babies? Ive been looking online found some info but more would be greatly needed. We plan oon releaseing him once hes old enough, hopefuly he will make it.

thanks

Call a wildlife rehabber or the department of natural resources (1-888-WDNRINFO). The bunny will have the best chance with someone who is trained to deal with wild and young bunnies, and in many states, including Wisconsin, it is illegal to keep wildlife if you are not a licenced rehabber. I know Madison has a good wildlife rehab facility, and I am sure there is something in Milwaukee.

I hope you were able to get it to a rescue place.

I know one year when I was working at a Summer Camp, before the kids arrived, the clean-up staff found a litter of Rabbits 7 of them. They decided to keep their distance and hope mom would come back for them. By night fall, a full day, nothing and with two foxes in the area it was not safe to leave them there.

We called the local SPCA and they gave us a number to the local wild life rescue person. The babies were gathered up, but unfortunately one of them had gone missing (we searched forever to no avail). The others were brought to the shelter who happen to have a lactating mom with only two babies.

The ending of this story is a great one, the mom accepted the babies and nursed them. We understand they were eventually released back into the wild. :hug1

Hopefully you were ableto get the baby to a rehabber. It is always a knee jerk reaction to want to feed babies when we find them, but if an animal has been caught by a cat it needs to be on antibiotics. Cats have a deadly bacteria in their saliva that gets into their victim's bloodstream and they need to get on antibiotics.

There is also a necessary protocol when rearing baby animals. Goat's milk is all the rage right now (I guess stuff on the internet says to give it?) but we've gotten in a few litters that were pretty sick when we got them and were on goat's milk.

Just give the baby clear Pedialyte right now and find a rehabber. Pedialyte will clear out his GI system from mom's milk and the goat's milk, and keep the baby hydrated.
But he really needs to get medical attention from a qualified rehabber. When you call them tell them right away that it was caught by a cat; that qualifies as an emergency.

Latest posts

Back