Wild cotton tail 5 weeks old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit8

Reaction score
Our dog brought home in it's mouth 3 newborn(looked like moles) cottontails. Only 1 has survived and approx 5 weeks old. I have read and read, and today my friend told me of this site(which I love). I have done everything by the book. I do plan on releasing litte bit back into the wild. I am having trouble weaning and need advice. Anything. I have let him out on our screened in back porch for 20 minutes at a time in the evenings, and yesterday he followed me. He loves, clover, grass, other green stuff from our property, parsley, and I have Timothy grass and alfalfa but he's not interested in that. Is it to late to release, and how do I wean? He eats in the am 730 and evening 730, and I put greens in for the day and for the night. Thanks for any advice.

I would suggest that you contact a wildlife rehab. They are experienced with caring for wild animals in need of human assistance. Here is a link with a nice long list of rehab facilities in Florida. They should have a rehab near you & can better assist you with caring for the bunny & its release.

http://wildliferehabinfo.org/Contact_A-M.htm

I wish you & your wild bunny the best! Please keep us informed of what's happening with the bunny.

Tauntz, thank you thank you thank you. I will let you know how things go.

Yeah, just make sure that it is a rehab that will not feed the bun to one of its cats. The Big Cat Rescue near here has gotten flack for feeding live buns to its cats.

I'm not one for domesticating wildlife, but in your situation the damage is done, I'd think about keeping it.

I'm not one for domesticating wildlife, but in your situation the damage is done, I'd think about keeping it.

If this is the route you take, please look up your states laws on the matter. I know in Minnesota where I live, it is illegal to take any animal from the wild and keep it in captivity. I think I tell this to people several times each summer because they want to take bunnies, squirrels and birds and try to tame them, none of which have ever lived.

best of luck in whatever you do.

Yes I wil take a look at Fl laws on this. I have spoken with a rehabber. Got alot of useful info. Still planning on releasing soon. Weaning is going well. Its been pure joy taking care of this little one.

Back