Wild Baby Bunny in House (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammy

Reaction score
I just got home and sat on the couch to rest when I saw one of my cats brought a baby bunny in the house. It could be a hare, I don't really know.

I caught it and put it in a cage until I can let it go...? It's not acting crazy or anything, seems calm. I gave it some grass to hold him over until tomorrow.

Does anyone know what I should do? Do I have him checked at the vet to see if he's ok first? Do I just let him go and where?

He's very small, about the size of my hand, and I'm a 5'4 female.

If this is a wild baby, then you should locate a licensed state wildlife rehabilitator. If you can list your location, we may be able to help you locate one.

Can you take a photo and show us? If it's big enough to be eating, he's probably ok to put back out but make sure he's ok..... sometimes they will be quiet in fear/injury.

It sounds as if this bun could probably be placed back outside but if the cat bit the baby bun it should go to a rehabber.
if we know your location we can find a rehabber near you.....

If your cat punctured the young rabbit, a wildlife rehabilitator will know what to offer to increase the chances of survival. When very small, cat puncture wounds (from the toxic bacteria in cats mouths) prove fatal. Time is very crucial.

Cat attacks. Domestic cats are an introduced species; they are not natural predators of cottontails. If you know that a cat has attacked the nest, remove all babies from the nest. Cat attacks can be fatal if treatment is not received within the first hours (even if there is no outward sign of injury), so contact a wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible.
---------------
^ from wildliferescueleague.org
-----------------------------------------

Even a slight piercing wound can kill a young cottontail in 24 hours. Google on cat bites and cottontails. None of the rabbits I cared for made it through a cat wound. The tiniest pierce hole can close up and the eastern cottontail will be poisoned.
Hope this helps. It broke our hearts as wildlife rehabilitators whenever we learned a cat got a hold of a baby or youngster.

Thanks for the responses. I'm in Miami, Oklahoma.

bunny.JPG

I got a hold of a wildlife rehabilitator from the links above, but while I was on the phone the little bunny passed. :( Thanks for the help and input.

I agree that it looks old enough to be on its own if it is uninjured.

edit: I'm sorry you lost him. To be frank, the chances of a wild baby bunny surviving a cat attack are very low. You did do very well by the baby, and did a lot to take care of him.

Thanks everyone. As soon as I caught him and put him in the cage I came here to find out what to do. I feel bad because I thought he was ok because he hopped to the front of the cage once and I did see him trying to eat the grass.

I had no idea bout the wildlife rehabilitator, but now I know for the future.

I called him Jack for the few short hours I had him here and I just now buried him in my back yard.

I am so sorry :(

It's so bad when cats get any rabbit. There are articles around here about it..... they get bad infections and such. The poor little guy. At least he was warm, and safe in his final hours.

:hug:

Cat saliva literally poisons a cottontail. It takes a certain timeframe to travel through their blood stream. Cat saliva is full of bacteria. My brother-in-law incurred a cat bite from MIL's cat. His finger is permanently disfigured from the attack by the unruly cat.

Echoing the comments from tonyshuman and BoBBunny; survival chances are slim. There are additional article and topic threads ; if time allows later I can go searching. You tried to locate a person who could help. Didn't shrug off his ultimate fate as disposable.

Sounded like you established a connection with Jack in the time you tried to help him.

:hearts

Latest posts

Back