Wild baby bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyRue

Reaction score
My friends barn cat seems to have brought home a baby bunny. She thinks it might be wild, around 2 -3 weeks old. Eyes open, can move and has no noticeable injury. She doesn't want to put it back out as its supposed to go down to about 35 tonight.

She is thinking of keeping it if she can give it the care it needs. She has pellets as she has an adult rabbit. I am thinking it is going to need a substitute milk? I am giving her the link for here so she can sign up and answer questions.

Picture... its cute as a button...

004-18.jpg

Never mind... we resolved it on the facebook RO. She is going to release the lil guy :)

Is there anyway to try and return it to were it was found by the cat? If not, it is kind of a tricky situation with it being winter. Is there a wildlife rehab place she could take it to. That would be the best thing and in some places there are laws prohibiting raising wild animals. But if finding a rehab place isn't possible, then I guess she'll have to try and care for it. I know wild rabbits wean earlier then domestic rabbits, so it's possible this baby is already weaned. I wouldn't push pellets onto it right now though, cause it's not used to that kind of food and it could make it sick. She should try and mimmick, as much as she can, what it would be eating in the wild. Stick with grasses and hay. If leafy greens like dandelions or parsley are introduced, then it should be one at a time and done gradually, like with a domestic rabbit, to make sure it doesn't cause stomach upset. But hay would probably be the best thing for it right now, and the lest likely thing to upset this babies stomach, as long as it will eat the hay alright.

Edit: Ok, never mind.

Probably closer to 4-5 weeks; I've rehabbed them before. Glad you released him-he's old enough that he should do fine on his own in the wild. Very cute lil' bun might i add. :)

no momma rabbits don't look after their littles once they leave the nest. Rabbits are quite capable of managing themselves. The smart ones live, the not so smart ones fill a useful purpose.

Latest posts

Back