Why?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memesbunnies

Reaction score
Okay, Just Bunny has toys all over the house (where he is allowed to be anyway, on linoleum) he has lots to eat and to chew on, cardboard boxes to play in but he prefers to sit on my worn out kitchen chair and rip off and eat pieces of the vinyl seat and stuffing inside! I took that away from him and then he chewed and ate the zipper and leather of an old purse I was planning to throw out anyway. What an idiot! Why does he do this? He is going to kill himself. Is a zipper that tasty? Why would you eat a zipper?

He has been driving me nuts lately, he tries everything to get into the bedrooms and living room where there is carpet and clothes - which he chews on, eats and/or pees on. He figured out how to jump over the wire barricade this morning and hefigured out how to pull it away from the wall to sneak through a tiny opening. He is going to be banished to his cage very soon and only have limited play time when we are home - right now he is out 24/7. When in his cage he chews on the bars constantly and drives me insane!

What is his problem? Since he has been neutered in mid Dec. he has really came along way, behaving himself and being a great family member. Now he is suddenlyturning out to be a real monster. Can't even kick him outside for some R&R as it is -20 and snow everywhere.:grumpy:

Bunnies are notorious for getting into trouble. Lol. It does sound like boredom/attention-seeking to me though. Are you rotating his toys? Maybe he's just bored with having the same ones available? When he tries to get out, are you sitting in the room with him or are you in another room?

Love your simple question/plea? Why? I have no idea what gets into their heads to destroy random items, other than their, bored, have opportunity or are trying to get your attention.. Posted similiar question tonight myself, so feel you "pain" and confusion - LOL!

Let us know if you figure out the zipper fascination!

I agree that it is boredom and getting your attention. Prince use to chew on the cage bars until I put him in with Sweetie, now he doesn't chew on the bars of the cage. He also has stopped nipping me, because I have been spending time with him and I have been talking softly to him and telling him that I love him no matter what he does.

He gets quite a bit of attention, more attention than he really wants when my son decides to teach him to play fetch! lol. I will lay on the floor and read my book and interact with him and he will come say hi, sometimes lick my forhead or arm and/or take a bit out of the book then run away to explore other things. I have been in the same room with him when he tried to get out. Kinda funny story - he tried to jump over the partition I had to block him from the living room and he came close but did not make it but somehow there was a piece of tape half stuck to the partion and when he came down from his jump the tape caught on he throat and he spazzed right out, I thought he broke his leg or nose or something but he had a meltdown over the tape on his throat, funny now that I know he was ok but serves him right, little brat- but you know, he has not tried to jump it since and generally stays away from the area, he got in big trouble last time he did manage to get in my son's room and he keeps his distance from there too. But, just when I think he is learning and coming around, he ate a piece of plastic wrap tonight before I could take it away. Good grief - first a zipper and now plastic wrap!

It sounds normal to me, he's just investigating things and it's fun to chew them.

I'm sure he gets loads of attention, but without another bunny to play with it sounds like he's just finding ways to amuse himself :) They're so silly

Lol, demanding attention doesn't mean you aren't giving them plenty already. They just like to be the center of attention :pMaybelle will destroy anything she can get her paws and teeth into. :)I just make sure to give her what I allow her to destroy so she doesn't destroy anything else. It's their way of playing. If they get bored with one thing, they move to the next. If something is particularly interesting, they will become obsessed with it. :pI try to pay attention to what it is they like. Like if something has particular texture, sound, etc. and try to replace it with something similar that is safe. :)

Latest posts

Back