Why it REALLY pays to be nice to your greengrocer!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
We have a fruit and veg shop that we go to get our bunny veg. They do massive huge bunches of parsley, huge romaine lettuces, and lots of local spring greens, all better quality and all cheaper than supermarkets. Plus it's a lot quiter and a much more pleasant experience. The greengrocer just happens to live round the corner of us, as we saw the van there one day and mentioned it to him. Ever since then, he always asks how our bunnies are when we go in. He will always come up and ask us if we need anything that's not on the shelves. He will send people out the back to find the biggest bunches of parsley and charge us 75-50% the normal price for them because we are in there so often.

He has even offered to deliver any veg we need to our house if we can't get there for some reason- he says he's more than willing to drop it off on his way home (the shop is about 20mins on the other side of the city to us). He is SUCH a nice guy!

Anyway, today was the best bit. We went in about an hour before closing because we were really short on veg unexpectedly and they are closed tomorrow. He said that he thought they had run out of flat-leaf, but went and got us a carrier bag FULL of curly-leaf parsley. Only charged us £1!! He was asking Steve what he does for a living, and was so interested when Steve said he builds websites that Steve ended up leaving a card, so has a potential new client. Then, as we were walking back to the car, one of the other employess chases us down the street shouting 'excuse me!' We turned around and he handed us a HUGE bag of flat-leaf parsley saying 'this is from Zane- he found it in the fridge'.

We estimate that we probably got about £15 worth of parsley for £1!!! :shock:

This is just half of what we had this afternoon- the rest had been squashed into the fridge:

IMG_0971.jpg

Oh, and he also saves us the carrot tops and gives them to us free when we go in as well.

So, just goes to show how it really pays to make friends with your greengrocer! :D

Aww how sweet!

Isn't it great? We have SO much parsley we don't know what to do with it! Only half would fit in our fridge so we have several glasses stuffed with parsley and a bit of water in the bottom in our kitchen- like lots of bunches of green flowers! :p

Wow thats so good! I tend to just pick up all the random leafy bits of the cabbages and brocollis in Sainsburys then bat my eyelashes at the man on the till to let me have them for free seeing as they are rubbish anyway.

So we were in there again today. The owner wasn't in but the other staff all know us now, and the one who chased us down the street was serving us with another guy (one weighs, the other packs). We asked for 2 big bunches of parsley, one flat and one curly, and we ended up getting 4 HUGE bunches- 2 of each! And they only charged us for 2!

What an awesome place. I'm so glad we found it.

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Whoa! What a great deal!

I don't buy veg. just for my bunnies, I just take it from the fridge (hehe). This year we're growing our own veg. for the bunnies though :) We have cilantro, oregano, parsley and carrots! We couldn't find anything else that was bunny-safe when we went, and we didn't want to buy something that wasn't, so we just grabbed these four.

Emily

Thanks guys!

It is the best place. We're so lucky to have found it. Aside from being great people who really value their customers, and great for bunny food, they're great for people food too! I got Jersey Royal potatoes at something silly like 50p per lb. Local British ones too! And super-cheap really yummy cherries, British strawberries, etc etc.... :D

I urge everyone to find a good greengrocer's and make friends with the management- free bunny food a-plenty, especially on a Sunday!

WOW, what you showed in the pic would have costed me around 30 $ the Fruit world sells them for 3$ per bunch but the bunches are like... TINY!

LUCKY!

Awh how sweet! You sorta don't expect it in todays times but it's always nice to know they're still out there :) We used to have a great rapport with our fruit and vege shop old guy then he sold it and know theres some manic sportos from my school who are on the till in the arvo and are complete you knows! You could make savoury muffins and shove loadsa parsely in, thery're scrummy!

I wish there was a place like that around me.. I drive 30 min just to grocery shop because the store down the street runs about double the price on veggies (among other things) and the quality is worse. My boyfriend jokes about asking them to save their scraps for us (all the stuff that falls off of the veggies) and we'll take them each week.

I factor veggies into my own grocery costs so that I feel that I'm not spending so much on all the animals, haha! Luckily I can now order Oxbow wholesale.. so there will be somewhat of a break.

Latest posts

Back