Why is she doing this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonehowl

Reaction score
My foster Delilah is not being a very nice girl. Today, my son started petting her and then went to pet by her ears. When he moved to her ear she jumped up and lunged at him and bit him. And then a little bit later I reached down right by her to pet our cat and she made a growl sound and lunged at me. Why is she doing this?

Melissa

How old is she and has she been spayed?

You said she's a foster - have you had her for long? Do you know the situation she came from?Perhaps she was abused and her ear area is a sensitive area that you should approach with caution? Perhaps a past owner held her by the ears and she does not want you to go near her ears for fear you will hurther?

All things to consider with a foster...

Do you have other rabbits? She could be territorial-defensive of her area. She may feel threatened by hands. Try always approaching her from the front and perhaps avoid her ears until she gets more comfortable?

_________
Nadia

Yup, I agree with HoneyPot!

Be wary of her ears. Keep to nose or back rubs.

If she's lunging for no reason other than to scare you away.Then you can gently place your hand over her uppers shoulders/head area. And very gently push her head down. This is what another bunny would do to her is she was acting that way towards a top bun.

She may have learned that biting and lunging makes people go away. So you need to stop re-enforcing that. If she's lunging, then you need to teach her that that behaviour does not make the hands go away.

Make a loud "ouch" noise if she does something that hurts. Hopefully that will help her learn that it hurts.

--Dawn

All of the advice is very helpful, hopefully we can get her more comfortable with us petting her. I unfortunately don't know her background, so who knows how she was treated by her previous owners.We have oneother rabbit. When's she out running around she'll go up to his cage and sniff him, but doens't seematall upsetby his presence.Iam wondering, she has started coming up to me and nudging my knee when I'm sitting on the ground.After she does this she'll just sit there, soI'llpet her head. Then she'll come back a little bit later and do it again. Is this what she is wanting when she comes up to me and does this?

Melissa

That or she wants you to move! :DHow long have you had her? Bunnies can often take their time warming up to someone. For now I would leave her ears alone, and just stick to head and cheek rubs. Let her get to know you guys and see that you aren't out to hurt her.

My bunny gets growly when I approach her with my hands in the wrong way. She may see your hands a threatening her. If she growls when youmove your hand towards her, stop, and change the way you are moving towards her, she may have just found it offensive. ;)

Good Luck,

~Star~

LoL, my bunny nudges and nips when she decides that she wants to try to hump my leg!! :shock:Everybunny is different, I guess.

~Star~

Yep, every bunny is different!

and I usually get two nose bumps, then gentle nibbling - sometimes, not so gentle, especially when it's a "Get out of my way!" or "Stop that!" kind of thing... ;)

When my bunny gets mad at me she will run a few feet away and just stare at me until i call her back :p.

And if im sitting on the floor and she gets scared she will back up into my legs and growl from there :p

Latest posts

Back