Why is my bunny’s head bobbing when he eats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmoore135

Reaction score
Hi y’all! Anyone ever have this issue? My bunny just started doing this today. It seems like maybe he has some discomfort of the right side of his face or something. He’s bobbing his head up and down while eating. He’s never done this before today. Anyone know what’s up?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 16
Could be a tooth problem. Is the right side a bit swollen? You may need to get his teeth checked out but a vet. They can grow too much and cause discomfort.

I was also thinking this. Sometimes It looks a bit swollen on the right but it goes right down when I pet him in that area. He went for his checkup last week and the vet said his teeth look great. We did just start a panacur treatment so I’m hoping it’s nothing to do with the medication. I have a video I would love to upload but it won’t allow me to do so. Thanks for the reply!

There is the possibility this could be an ear problem. An ear infection could cause pain while your rabbit's chewing, which your rabbit could be trying to change head position to try and stop this from happening. And a face that looks swollen on one side, may not actually be swelling from a dental issue but swelling from an ear infection pressing on the facial nerve and causing paralysis and facial drooping on one side of the face.

So if you're seeing one side of the face drooping or having a swollen appearance, I would suggest an immediate visit to the vet to get your rabbit checked for a possible ear infection, which may require xrays if it involves the inner/middle ear. And maybe to recheck the teeth too while you're there in case there is just something stuck in the teeth or a developing dental issue.

Medirabbit, ear infection in rabbits

Is the panacur for deworming, or is your bun being treated for e. cuniculi, and if so what symptoms made the vet think this?

Videos have to be uploaded to somewhere like youtube, then linked here.

M
There is the possibility this could be an ear problem. An ear infection could cause pain while your rabbit's chewing, which your rabbit could be trying to change head position to try and stop this from happening. And a face that looks swollen on one side, may not actually be swelling from a dental issue but swelling from an ear infection pressing on the facial nerve and causing paralysis and facial drooping on one side of the face.

So if you're seeing one side of the face drooping or having a swollen appearance, I would suggest an immediate visit to the vet to get your rabbit checked for a possible ear infection, which may require xrays if it involves the inner/middle ear. And maybe to recheck the teeth too while you're there in case there is just something stuck in the teeth or a developing dental issue.

Medirabbit, ear infection in rabbits

Is the panacur for deworming, or is your bun being treated for e. cuniculi, and if so what symptoms made the vet think this?

Videos have to be uploaded to somewhere like youtube, then linked here.
the panacur is for pinworms. I haven’t seen any of the “swelling” I saw yesterday. I think I was just over analyzing just being super nervous. Still bobbing while eating. It’s as if the hay or food is stuck to the ground and he’s pulling it up to eat it. But it’s not stuck it’s in his mouth! I noticed him sucking on cabbage today and not chewing at all. All of his pellets are eaten though and most of the other veggies left in his bowl this morning are gone.

The vet may have missed something in the dental exam. Sometimes there can be sharp points way at the back, that the vet can't really get a good look at to see unless the rabbit is sedated. I would say if you keep noticing this happening, and especially if it seems there's difficulty chewing food, food being dropped from his mouth, and/or drooling going on, I would get him back for a more thorough dental exam.

Medirabbit: dental malocclusion in rabbits

Keep in mind too, if some foods are being left uneaten when they usually would be gobbled up, selective eating is another possible sign of dental issues. Depending on the dental problem, some foods may be easier to still chew than others. Like pellets that basically break apart easily when crunched down on can be easier to still eat for a rabbit with molar spurs. But things like hay and veggies actually have to be ground up, so they may be harder for a rabbit to chew who has a dental problem, without it causing pain from the chewing motion.

Looks a little bit in pain. I would monitor the bunny for a few days and see if I t continues

Back