Why is it that the pick of the litter is always the one that gets sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I knew a day or so ago that the "pick of the litter" buck from Cindy's and Portia's litters wasn't quite himself. But he didn't feel like he was losing weight - he appeared to be eating and drinking. He just wasn't quite as active as the others - but then again - he never was as active.

Because I'd read an article in the Holland Lop guidebook about how three different personalities of Hollands, I assumed he was just the "boring" one that liked to sit in his cage all the time and just be quiet....he'd been that way most of his life.

But tonight when I went to feed - he was gone....

I'm totally devastated. I will admit that I was starting to like the other broken buck almost as much - but I already lost the runt of this litter and now to lose him....it just hurts a lot.

Yeah - I know - I think of them too much as pets...that's ok.

Anyway - does it ever feel to y'all like its usually the pick of the litter that you lose if you lose one?

Our mini rex litter, one of the kits got an ear torn. I told my sister, watch this one be the pick of the litter. Guess what she is. Type and gorgeous color

SNM wrote:
Our mini rex litter, one of the kits got an ear torn. I told my sister, watch this one be the pick of the litter. Guess what she is. Type and gorgeous color
The same thing happened to us with a litter of Californians. One of our little bucks got rave reviews from a well respected meat rabbit judge but when she saw the notch in his ear she had to DQ him. She said it just ruined her day to have to do that. He had also placed 2nd out of 23 at avery large show. Unfortunately, his littermate got hold of his ear through the wire somehow and took a nice nip out of it.

It always feels like when I pick the best baby of out the litter's they die... It's very heart broken to loose any animal. I lost a few this summer from "bad hay" and they were my favorite babies! But things happen for a reason and we dont know why! I am sorry! :hug2:

Call me unusual but if I see any of my babies acting unusual, I immediately dose them with Benebac. Don't ask why, cause I don't know. What I do know is that I have lost 1 rabbit out of 5(large) litters this year to freezing and nothing else.

CCWelch wrote:
Call me unusual but if I see any of my babies acting unusual, I immediately dose them with Benebac. Don't ask why, cause I don't know. What I do know is that I have lost 1 rabbit out of 5(large) litters this year to freezing and nothing else.
I actually did try that and still lost him....but that is what I'm starting to do now.

I've also cut down on their pellets after reading about something like this on a website. (I had been free feeding them).

Here is the link.

Wow, thanks for that link! I have always self fed and not had problems but then again I raise the big bunnies. I sometimes think that the little ones are a little more touchy.

Latest posts

Back