Why is it so hard to sex rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharfly

Reaction score
I got these 2 male lionheads from a breeder 2 hours away she was coming to town and I wanted one, but she bought both the males for me to choose. I coudn't choose from them so I took both. They are too cute to pick one :)
Got them home and the lighter one is a doe. They are approx 12 weeks old she she's probley preggers right? :rollseyes
The males testicals are fully decended.
014-40.jpg

My daughter named them "Dandy"(female) and "Lion" they are adorable. Good thing there are not a lot of lionhead breeders here so I should have no issues finding them homes.
My genetic nerd brain tells me the litter will be 50% brokens, 25% selfs and 25% charlies(too much white brokens). They are broken torts right?

12 weeks is young for a female to be pregnant, but it is not unheard of. My Amelia had a litter before I got her and I think she was around 3.5 to 4 months when she got pregnant. From what I understand, she is not really know what to do and didn't nurse the babies, they were fostered to another doe.
To be safe, assume she is pregnant and be prepared for it. Put them in separate cages. Since you don't have an exact date for when they might have mated, you can figure that she would give birth in the next month. Keep and eye out for signs that she is pregnant. It might be good to contact some local breeders to see if they have a doe and would be able to foster kits if needed. A vet is also good to have contact with just in case. Hopefully she isn't pregnant, but it is good to be prepared just in case.

It's unlikely that she would be pregnant. There is potential for rabbits to breed young, but two things have to happen. First, the doe's body has to be mature and fertile. Second, the buck has to be mature and fertile. At 12 weeks old, those two options don't usually sync. In any case, separate them to prevent breeding from this point on.

If you do end up with a litter, your percentages are correct for each individual kit. So each kit has a 50% chance of being broken, 25% solid, 25% charlie. But that doesn't hold true for the litter overall...you could end up with 6 kits, all solid. :) They are broken torts, too.

With the genetics part its really those percentages for each kit. Not a balanced percent for the whole litter like Julie said. So each kit has a 50% chance of broken, 25% chance charlie and 25% chance solid. The only way to see that distribution in the litter is to have a much bigger population of kits which is nearly impossible to have. Sorry to have that mistake happen but it happens to the best and worst of breeders all the time.

We have kept siblings in the same cage up to 3-4 months old and never had an oops litter. It isn't unheard of but we haven't had it happen. Altough I dont recommend it but we have had to do that due to space constraints. Good Luck and congrats on the new buns :)

Back