Why have my rabbits become asocial?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yramnot

Reaction score
Weeks ago, I allowed my rabbits to have free run of the house after they were neutered and litter trained. They used to be very affectionate, loving pets who enjoyed being held. Now, they want nothing to do with anyone, including me. They don't even want to be touched. Why is this happening? A while back I made a post about them being asocial towards my other family members, and was told it would improve. It hasn't. It's gotten worse.

My rabbits will go hang out two floors above me and ignore me when they are out. I think they like the freedom. They know they don't have to let me pet them or pick them out. When they have so much room there is so much to explore and do. My one rabbit Chase, will ignore me all day. But then at a certain time around 6-7 pm she will come back downstairs and want pets. My other rabbit, Little Bunny, is just happy to run around and play and usually prefers that I leave her alone. I think it is just a difference in personalities.

Even though Little Bunny would never let me pick her up when she is running around the house, if she is in her cage she will because she knows she has no other choice. I only do that to cut nails or give meds. But she knows she can't get away.

How long have they had free run? They still may be so excited about the new freedom, pets are not a priority. I would just go with the flow. Try to get down on the floor near their favorite hang out spot and see what they do. Though it could take sometime.

I do think personalities can change throughout a rabbits life. When Chase was younger, she never wanted pets. She was to busy tearing up boxes and playing. Now, in the evening she expects them and would let me pet her till my arm fell off, but only during the evening. Otherwise she runs from me.

They've had free run for about a month, and recently I had to confine them to one room because they left a big urine puddle on my living room carpet. The day after that, they left a giant pile of poo by the bedroom door. That was around the time they stopped wanting anything to do with me in addition to the family. Could they be angry? I've also read that rabbits go through an adolescent phase, which is what this reminds me of. Only difference between them and what I've read is that they're not overtly aggressive. Could that be it also?

Hormones can definitely effect personality. What sex are they?

It may just be before they were having to conform to your routine and rules and now they are making their own up and it's your turn to adjust yours. If the best spot (in bunny opinion) for hanging out is the upstairs bedroom but you always hang in the living room, maybe they are wondering why you don't hang out with them any more! Try sitting around in their favourite places with food and toys at the times when they are most active and see if they are more interested in including you.

tamsin wrote:
If the best spot (in bunny opinion) for hanging out is the upstairs bedroom but you always hang in the living room, maybe they are wondering why you don't hang out with them any more!
I love this comment. My rabbit, Chase loves to spend time under the bed and I never thought that she wonders why the heck I don't come up there and hang out with her. I do agree that rabbits will find their favorite spot and it may be no where near where you usually hang out.

Back