Why don't some of you like NIC cages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double N

Reaction score
Yup....the subject just about sums it up!

When I first started looking into buns and cages, I just thought they were the most amazing things (but I'm also easily amused....)

But I see a lot of people saying how they just don't like them. What are the reasons?

I don't like them because they seem too fussy for me. I don't really have the energy or creativity to set up a bunny palace and I much prefer something easy like an xpen. Plus, xpens are easy to take down, move, etc, while NICs aren't. I also don't think most NIC cages are nearly as easy to clean as my xpen set up.

So I don't really have anything against them, I just don't find them as practical as an xpen. I do looove NIC panels for bunny proofing though!

elrohwen wrote:
I don't like them because they seem too fussy for me. I don't really have the energy or creativity to set up a bunny palace and I much prefer something easy like an xpen. Plus, xpens are easy to take down, move, etc, while NICs aren't. I also don't think most NIC cages are nearly as easy to clean as my xpen set up.

So I don't really have anything against them, I just don't find them as practical as an xpen. I do looove NIC panels for bunny proofing though!
I had a huge NIC cage for my cavies way back when. That thing took hours to clean! I thought about building one for my new baby coming home, but I remember how much I hated cleaning the one for the cavies.

It was cool-looking, had 2 levels and I enjoyed the way it functioned. It held my 3 boys quite well. Still, it was a complete hassle. I eventually had to take it down and get everyone separate cages.

I think design has a lot to do with ease of cleaning. I had to rework my design a number of times until I got it right. Y'know, double doors, swing up panels, etc. Then, cleaning was a breeze :)

What Autumn said is true that if you make the doors right it is a lot easier to clean. Moving them alone? No with help yes.

Now why am I going back to cages after all this time?In my case for some of my bunnies it is easier to maintain and safer for them. (3 have head-tilts)My biggest reason is that when you need 7 cages the NIC is not as easy to maintain. The plan right nowis to get all my solo buns into cages as well as my bonded pair. My trio and foster (currently just one bunny I am sitting for.) will be the only buns in NIC cages. Unless I can find a good cage for the trio (have one in mind but not cheap) and another for a foster.

The cages I am using are a little longer in length and just a bit shorter in width. They don't take up as much room and are easier to clean.

When it comes to x-pens..... Buying NIC and making a pen are cheaper. :p

I don't like them.
I don't think they look as nice and clean.
They don't seam that easy to clean.
There is no way to make a door unless you use a panel for one of the doors,
and if you do that then you need clamps and stuff to hold the panel/door shut so
it looks cheapy and bad to me.
The panels need to be held together with bulky things or zip ties which look cluttering to me.
They just arnt appealing at all to me.
I just don't like them.

I stick to other types of cages :)

I'm addicted to NIC grids. Bayou likes to move his x-pen around too much. :grumpy:

Anyway, the NIC cages do have their flaws. Bayou figured out how to pull the grids apart so I had to zip tie all of them. Keeping the connectors on right is a pain, the space between the wall and the grids gets dirty fairly quickly, some water bottles don't hook on right, you have to find your own flooring, and what not.

But I love the space and the ability to customize it and move it around and what not.

JadeIcing wrote:

Good point! I guess I just associate NIC cages with big, multi-level bunny palaces. I don't know if I've seen anyone use them as just a pen, but it's a fantastic idea; and it is cheaper than buying a puppy pen.

i prefer the NIC cage over cages cause most are to small, but dog kennel wit and x-pen is ideal.
but you can use NIC panels to make an x-pen type, which is sorta what i do, and its cheaper.

My problem with them is that it's hard to get the right kind of flooring in them. I had linoleum and it was good until they started eating holes in it and then their feet could go through to the grids, which could cause real problems. I think they're great cages, especially if you're not a student who has to move around a lot (flippin huge and heavy!) and you can solve the flooring problem successfully. I just recently switched to a more furniture-looking cage as well (to class up the place a bit :p) but I haven't posted pics.

elrohwen wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:

Good point! I guess I just associate NIC cages with big, multi-level bunny palaces. I don't know if I've seen anyone use them as just a pen, but it's a fantastic idea; and it is cheaper than buying a puppy pen.
I use them as a pen for Lillian (Sweets). She does have an NIC cage, but also the pen to hang out in during the day. I also have some (2*12) to use for agility demos. It is cheaper than an x-pen and provides enough space for the buns.

I have never had an NIC pen, but I thought I'd say why that doesnt work for me. My landlord is really fearful about pets. At first she said no to a goldfish in a bowl...seriously.

Now I have a rabbit but only because I made sure having one didnt seem like a big deal. In that situation a store bought rabbit cage was a lot less scary than some huge NIC creation. I dunno, apparently a cage that says "my first home" on the side with a pretty purple tray just seems more friendly to her. Whats she doesnt really know is the rabbit is rarely locked inside it....mwhahahahaha

Thats my reasoning. Even if they are similar sizes, I feel like there is something comforting to non rabbit people about a cage with clean lines that they see in stores all the time. My roommates like it a lot better too.

I think NIC cages are great, but they do have their drawbacks. Personally I don't mind the look as long as the grids are in a color of your choice (mine were silver).

The biggest problem for me was the cleaning. It took a lot of body contortion to reach all the way into the back and on top of the shelves. I had 1 grid open in the front on the bottom level and a row of grids open on the top. It seemed like supporting the upper levels would be a problem if I made more grids open on the front. When I had grids on the bottom on the cage (covered with carpet or linoleum), they got filthy and were impossible to clean, so I removed them and it does work better with an open bottom set over some type of flooring.

That said, they are a lot of fun to make and you can tailor them to fit the space you have. Currently my buns are in a large puppy pen in my garage, but when my husband and I get our own place they will probably be back in the NIC cage indoors with plenty of run time in the house. Unless I can get my hands on a Leith Petwerks condo!

I'm finding that the NIC cages at 2 grids deep is just a tad too wide for me to clean and get to Dunkin easily. He dislikes being picked up and hides in the farthest corner. I basically have to climb inside it to get him!:shock: Then there is the flooring issue, finding something he wont chew at.

Wow....thanks for all of those replies! I never really thought about the trouble cleaning. Isn't that strange?

But that may be because we have our Goffin's Cockatoo in a GIANT macaw sized cage so I have to crawl into that to clean it up.

I think the reason they appealed to me was because my dream bunny would be a Flemish and those just seemed to be the most roomy since you can add a second level.

I'm not sure an X-pen would work in our homes as they fold up VERY easy and I'm sure that some dog would lay down against it and fold it up on itself!!

I have a four level NIC. The only hard part is the guinea pig's level. They messy buggers and are constantly moving the fleece and chewing the linolium - annoying. For the rabbits it is great. A simple sweep, and a pee clean if needed, of the night and it is fine. It may look crappy but looks do not matter to me. Don't like my room? or the fact the 2 grid x 4 grid condo tales up 75% or more of my floor space? To bad, you do not live in there. It is about their happiness, not my want to "look good".

Also I love having extra NIC panels around for various purposes. I've blocked off my bed with them to keep the bunnies out from under it, made a pen for playing outdoors and for temporary foster rabbits, and even made a crate for my parents' puppy with them.

Having had a store bought cage nic and free rome for about a week or two I have a tmpoary NIC going to order a super pet giant in dec unless money alows earlier.

The problem with nic for me is there hard to clean. Espcically behind the litterbox.

I can also only own one small bun. Under five pounds. So one cage will work for me I will use nic to bunny proof though.

And the look for me I have a ocd about looks. So a cage looks better. If you have a big bun or more then one I would go nic its cheaper

bunniekrissy wrote:
Also I love having extra NIC panels around for various purposes. I've blocked off my bed with them to keep the bunnies out from under it, made a pen for playing outdoors and for temporary foster rabbits, and even made a crate for my parents' puppy with them.
This is really true. I've blocked off under the bed, on the sides of the couch so they can't get behind there, etc etc.

Back