Why does she do it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all...a quick question. RecentlyAmelia has been mounting, humping, and biting Emmit quite alot. It happens every night when I let them out toplay. It doesn't happen at first, but after they've been outfor 30-40 minutes, she starts after him. At first when shestarted this, he would get mad, not let her do it, and then run away orreturn the favor. Now he just lets her do it to him for alittle bit, slips away, then turns around and sticks his nose underhers to be licked. She'll lick, then start all overagain.

I know that bunnies mount one another (especially when they do it fromall different angles) to show dominance, but why is she doing this allof a sudden and should I be worried? I'm worried that one ofthese days one is going to get hurt because usually I say, 'Hey!" ather when she starts biting him, and she'll stop for the timebeing. I tried to think of something that we changed, maybeshe's mad at something we did and taking it out on him (she did that atfirst when we got our cats last year, but she doesn't even care whenthey come in their room now).

I dunno about this, and it's stumping me. I feelbad for Emmit because all he ever wants from her is just to lay aroundand be licked. Maybe she's just trying to show who wears thepants in the family...any ideas?

I think it's okay, as long as she's not hurtinghim. It might be a good idea to employ the squirt bottle method todiscourage her. Is it possible that she smells anything new around?

Are they caged together?

Have you noticed anything different about Emmitlately? Keep a really close eye on him and maybe make anappointment for a good health check at the vet. Sometimeswhen one rabbit starts to bully the other out of the blue, it's becausethe other rabbit is having a health problem. Animals oftensense things that we can't.

Thanks for the advice. I've neverheard of that before. He isn't acting any different that I'veseen, but it has been over a year since they've seen a vet.It's probably about time. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back