why does magnus have such and attitude?????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what is up with my bunny? hes about 6 months. hes has such a sassy attitude and i have no clue if its normal or if its because he wants attention. he throws himself down in his cage, when i clean him he chews the paper while i try to throw it away, and somedays he'll chew the bars of his cage.oh and he has a peeing problem, he pees so much much it leaks out of the cage, its so bad i have to put cardboard boxes on both sides of the cage. when he figured out what i was doing he peed on the other side of cage so i had to put another box on the other side. what do i do? hes a good well-tempered rabbit, but sometimes hes a bit angry. how should i excersize him?

yep, hormones. He needs to be neutered. What are his cardboard boxes for?

He can also be marking his territory and could start spraying soon. Watch out for flying pee!

He will be happier when neutered.

He will live longer.

He can safely have a buddy to play with.

Um...what else...

He won't spray and be better littertrained.

Um..I don't remember the rest if any.

Yep- find a rabbit savvy vet and have him neutered.

As for the roaming thing, make sure the WHOLE area is bunnyproofed (cords covered, dangerous areas blocked, etc)

Ask us if you need help with anything :)

since everyone else has gotten the whole peeing thing down, i thought i could help with the chewing.

sounds like magnus is a chewer. My buns LOVE to chew paper, sometimes they even get at my homework...:p but i digress, buns love to chew, and it is good for them. their teeth never stop growing so they have to chew to keep their teeth at a certain length. to distract him from chewing his cage or paper, try giving him other things to chew on. blocks of wood work well and my buns love toilet paper tubes!

A couple of ideas...and some links to help...

One thing: him throwing himself down in the cage is what bunny people like to call a Dead Bunny Flop. It actually is him being REALLY happy. :)

(You can read more about it here. Also check out the thread on Binkies and Bunny Flops in the Bunny 101 thread in the Lagomorph Library here in the forum.)

About the peeing: have you thought about just buying a kitty litterbox, and putting some wood pellet litter in it for him to pee in? If you cover it with a good helping of hay (which he should get an unlimited supply of anyway), he'll be drawn to going there for the bathroom. Not to mention, him having a litterbox will help him know where to "go" all the time...and will save pee from getting outside his cage. :D

(To help, check out the Litter Training and Litter and Litter Boxes sections in the Bunny 101 thread in the Lagomorph Library here in the forum.)

About him chewing paper while you're trying to throw it away: it sounds like he might have been trying to play with you. One of the things bunnies like is to play "toss". Some bunnies will even go fetch it and bring it back!

Another thing it might be, and something I've found in my own rabbits: it could be that he prefers the "shreddies" to stay. My Maisie gets really stressed when I change her cage too much, and gets so much in the way while I'm trying to clean her cage, I finally just decided to put her in a carrier while I go about my business. It might be him asking for his shreddies to stay. You can put him in a nice sized carrier while you clean his cage. Just be sure he has hay, water, and maybe a favorite toy to keep him company. :)

You can let him out to exercise, but just watch him if he's not fully litter-trained, as he might have "accidents" while he's out. Just soak up the urine with a paper towel and put the paper towel in his box, and he'll start getting the idea that it's where he's supposed to "go". Another thing: putting the hay on top of his litter will promote him WANTING to go only there, as buns like to eat while "going". The hay acts as a kind of magazine. Hehe!

That's about all I can think of right now. Just be sure to take some time to do some reading in our Lagomorph Library, as it has MANY MANY articles and LOADS of helpful information! :)

Here are some threads that might be worth reading to start off with:

Aggression
Books About Rabbits
Bunny Ideas and Accessories
Bunny Proofing Your House
Cages and Hutches: Housing your Rabbit
Feeding Your Rabbit
Finding A Vet
Glossary: Some Terms You'll See in the Rabbit World
Hay: All About it
Household Hazards
Lifting a Rabbit
NIC Cage Tutorial
Odor Control
Pellets
Poop!
The Rabbits Online Cheat Sheet
Toys!
Vegetables

Sorry, I know that's a lot...but as you can see, the Lagamorph Library has LOADS of helpful information, and is worth checking out! :D

Keep us updated, ok?

Hugs!

Rosie*

You should get him a high backed litterbox and train him to go to it. They are usually good about it in their cage if nowhere else!

magnus*the*bunny*has*an*attitude wrote:
we put the boxes there so the pee doesnt stain the baseboards.

Latest posts

Back