Why do I feel so guilty about this?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runestonez

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Some of you who know me know that I went away in July 2009 to India to have spinal surgery...I have been injured for around 7 years...give or take. It was my last chance to have surgery or give up and go to a wheelchair.:(

My hubby and I went to my doctor who absolutely refused to sign our OHIP forms...(in Canada if you have OHIP approval they will help pay or pay for all of a surgery...even if it is out of country...takes alot of wrangling but it can be done). Anyway thesurgeons here (9 altogether) said I was too young tohave the surgery that it was too dangerous, too risky...(I was injured at 29 and am 37 now!) that I would end up paralyzed or with a colostomy bag, etc...they only gave me a 60% chance of coming through the surgery whole...they went so far as to tell me that I should wait till I was in a wheelchair or couldn't take the pain anymore...then if they did the surgery and I was paralyzed that it was win/win because I was already in a wheelchair anyway.:(

So we mortagaged our house to the hilt...begged what we couldn't finance and got enough to pay on our own. We booked our trip through this company we found that facilitates out of country surgeries...and we went. I contacted 11 other people who had used them and researched the heck out of them first!
The surgery has worked really well so far. (OHIP will not cover me if it didn't work--a little "catch 22" to not getting their approval!);)

It was actually worse than we thought...we thought we were going to India to have 4 discs in my back replaced...but found out I had a seperated spine and 5 herniated discs! lol:D
My spine was collapsing into my pelvis. BUT--the surgery was actually going to be cheaper...because they could save most of the discs...except for one!

SO I had a titanium and polypropylene cage screwed to my spine to pull it back together and they removed the one dead disc and fused(without bone grafting) the bottom vertebrae...they realigned my spine and spaced out the vertebral spaces that had collapsed and the others discs should heal on their own now that everything is stable again...

We were so scared...but the surgeons there were totally confident...what was risky here turned out to be routine there! I was in and out and back in my room in 6 hours...and they had me walking the next morning!:shock:

SO we came home. I was so happy!:biggrin2:
I was able to walk on my own without a cane and no walker or wheelchair!:pinkbouce:

The company asked me to be their "poster child"of sorts...and I agreed.
There are approximately 600,000 Canadians who can't get surgery because they are backlisted! So being able to travel to India etc would be a great choice for them! We were working to convince the gov't to start pursuing other means for people who need surgery.
I did interviews for CBC Radio1, CTV, CBC News and spoke at a breakfast conference for The Consul General of India and the heads of surgery for India and Canada. The whole experience...the doctors and nurses were amazing and it was a lifesaver for me!

THEN...the company that arranged the travel(noties to the hospital orsurgeons)and setup the meeting with the surgeon started avoiding me. I asked about our invoices and receipts and they kept promising and promising and finally in November I contacted them and told them enough...I wanted to know what we owed or were owed we had been home for over 3 months. Part of the contract was that the estimate had to be paid in full before we could go...$32,905.00, but any left over amounts would be refunded back.

Well...they owe us around $12,000 -$15,000 dollars in re-imbursments...turns out they were "robbing peter to pay paul" as it were and when my surgery didn't cost as much as they thought...they had no money to re-imburse us! So I have no way to get our money and since I have no receipts(they are holding them)...we can't even claim the medical expenses on our income tax!:( They were completely ignoring us...so I sent them notice that we were going to have to pursue legal means if we didn't hear from them...we gave them 30 days...36 days ago!

I was going to go to small claims...but there is a HUGE jurisdictional mess because they are in BC and I am in Ontario...so I finally caved and called our family lawyer...he is really mad...and is thinking along the lines of breach of contract and criminal fraud...so I could be resposible for having this person sent to jail instead and blowing up their business...

I have been mad as heck for the last week...but now that I know what is coming...:(
Yes I gave them more than a few chances to contact me...yes they are avoiding me so I can't even send my check up X-rays to India for the surgeons to review them so I can go back to work.
I don't know what I feel now...I really don't want to have to do this...:(

Danielle

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. On the positive side, at least you have regained your health. Would an attorney take it on contingency? Maybe a class action suit, if there are others that this has happened to.

Danielle,

Hopefully involving your lawyer would give them just enough of a scare to get them to move their butts! I'm sorry you're dealing with so much. I am very glad to hear that the surgery itself has been a success though! :rose:

:)
Thanks...
I am really hoping this can all be settled without having to drag her to court...
I don't want to destroy her business...I just want to close our account and everyone can go their own way...

I was even willing to give her more time to find the money...:(
But she won't even give us our receipts so we can do our taxes!
What a time to give up biting my nails!

slavetoabunny-we are lucky...the lawyer we have is our "family" lawyer...so until we actually have to proceed with a court case he isn't making us pay...right now he has given her 5 days...if she ignores us again...then we have to start planning and paying. So things could be worse!:)

Nela-I think thats what the lawyer is hoping...if we tell her where we are going then maybe that will gether moving. Which I am totally onboard with!

NorthernAutumn-The last 6-7 months have been one disaster after another for us...our financial planner is stunned at how bad our luck is...I actually think she was laughing a bit (we were talking through email!) Whenever we try to get on track 10 things blow up at once! lol:)

I feel a bit better now that it is a couple of days after the fact...both my husbands family and my own are happy. They are really mad that it has gotten to this point. They agree with the lawyer that we have been extremely accomdating over the last 7 months...on top of hubby having to move to a new job and me being sick cause the pharmacy changed one of my prescriptions and didn't tell me...I finally clued in when my hair started to fall out, I had migraines once everyother day and I was falling asleep on my feet and nauseous all the time...good news is it was a 90 day shot...so if I can survive the next 30 days I can get the proper dose and proper meds again.
LOL
I know in 6 months this will be funny as all heck get out...
I can't wait to get there!;)

I was/am a bit ofa workaholic...
I honestly thought I was a bit on the lazy side. :D

At the time I was working in a factory as a welder.
I have a birth anomally at L5-S1...I was born missng a disc...but a REALLY small disc...;)and it had never bothered me...in fact I didn't even know about it until after I got hurt! But it was enough to stress my spine apparently.

Anyway...I had a sore back but because I was working in a factory there is always something that hurts on you somewhere(in fact I had tendonitis in my shoulders and it was bothering me more!)...so I kept going...I blew out one or two discs but it didn't hurt enough to slow me down and I didn't notice too much...just knew I had a sore back...so I blew out another and another...when I got to five I was hurting enough I had to stop...andmy spine was weakened enough by this point the vertebrae began drifting apart and I ended up with a spine in two pieces!:)I have a highish pain threshold...;)

My disc at L4-5 I lost...it was dead by the time we could afford the surgery, they managed to save the disc at L3-4 and the other three above...but withmy spine screwed back together and supported by the cage they should heal just fine now!:)
<fingers crossed>

weird...i have a super messed up spine so i understand. i dont know whats wrong with it other than its slowly twisting...

but honestly i would not feel bad but i hope things work out the best for you

Paul2641-LOL:biggrin2:
I have been TOLD...by hubby working in a factory or welding is a definate NO! :biggrin2:
He was very emphatic about it:D...I have been trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life! I was interested in being a florist...but I did one wedding and decided spending to much time around brides would be bad for their health! LOL

Fuzz16-all I can say is ouch!:(I had a curve in mine but they straightened it out when they did the surgery...it was really weird trying to learn to walk properly again after so many years! :D For the first week or two after the surgery I could feel the cage in my back...it was the oddest feeling...I am glad I finally don't notice it anymore! It was gross!
Are your doctors going to do anything about your back?
Have they done any tests?

No no gardening is fine...as long as you have a husband to drag stuff around for you! :biggrin2:
I have been gardening for the last 4 years...I used to hate it but if you get bored enough...anything looks like fun! lol My whole front yard and most of the back is gardens...I would have to go back to school and take some courses...doesn't do much for me in the winter though!:D

But it is definately something I love to do!:D
I was talking to hubby about being a vet tech or something...my vet asked me why I didn't become a vet..I told her my math was horrible...she told me to suck it up and buy a calculator! LOL :biggrin2:

I have a few months to plan...what to do...what to do!?

Being an AHT is awesome! Im in school for it right now, hard but rewarding, and not too hard. I say go for it! Theres this one university in B.C. that does the course online, where you work in a vet clinic and send in videos for compatencies and such. It takes 3 years to finish. My own mum is doing it this next January, lol. If you got any questions just PM me :)

Latest posts

Back