Why bond bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeroshero

Reaction score
I read all these threads on the challenges with trying to bond rabbits. Is it really nessesary? Does it benefit their well-being? I am not home between 5:30am and 7:00pm most nights so I have thought about getting Zero a altered buddy once he is better and neutered, the whole shebang. He is rather small for his breed (which is either Californian or NZW but could be both) so I was thinking of a Hotot or Dutch. I don't want a buddy that is bigger than he is because I don't want him hurt. This is a long way down the road as I don't want another rabbit to drain resources for Zero's medical care. (i tend to pick sick animals) I thought he might be lonely and want a companion but when I am off work during those hours Zero is out of commission, he retires to his Timothy tunnel, and spends time flopped in his hammock but really doesn't care to be bothered by me. Is he really missing out by being a solitary rabbit? He gets 2 - 3 hours of one-on-one time with me, and also spends between 7pm - 4:30am loose in his little courtyard attached to his cage.

Well... I'm kind of ambivalent on this. On the one hand, absolutely - rabbits ARE social animals and do have a special bond with other rabbits. However, getting a rabbit just for this reason may result in a rabbit that isn't really wanted and that the person cannot afford.

My thoughts on it boil down to this:

If you can afford the space, time and money for a second rabbit - get your rabbit a companion.
If you can't, don't. A lone rabbit that is well cared for is better off than two that are not.
If your rabbit does not taking to bonding easily, don't force the issues. Some rabbits really seem to want a friend, others seem to really not want a friend.

I noticed a marked improvement in my rabbit's health and happiness when we met his girlfriend, Penny. They bonded almost immediately. Abe has fewer pasteurella symptoms now, and is more outgoing. I do not think he was miserable before, but I think they are better off in pairs - IF you can and want to properly care for both them. :)

Oh I just wanted to add that you need not worry about the size. My girl Penny is half the size of Abe. No harm done to either. If you let them meet before you commit, so you know they are probably going to be compatible, I don't think there is a big chance of them getting hurt. If you see a companion, speed dating is best - worry about appearance etc after you find a compatible bun.

My male is such a bunny-loving guy that he'd have bonded with just about anyone, but it was obvious he was comfortable with Penny.

Anyway, let your rabbit "decide" as he knows what he wants best :)

If your attentive to your rabbit then he can be fine by his lonesome. Really I think pairing rabbits should be done because the owner wants to. I'm sure there are some rabbits who desperately want a friend but I just dont think that as prevalent as some would claim, just as there are anfew rabbits who like being solo. Personally I think most fall in the category if they're alone its fine and if there's another rabbit its cool too.

Then again I speak from having two currently unbonded rabbits. I've never seen the bonded rabit dynamic as of yet to truly know. Though I believe again that the most important factor is can you take care of and want two rabbits.

if he's happy/content on his own I wouldn't mess with things, particularly if he has compromised health. Bringing another rabbit into the picture just exposes him to all the things that bunny might be carrying as well.

I am sitting with him while he is eating his hay and realized I don't really want to share him with another bun, he seems okay with our arrangement. He doesn't ever beg for attention, he gets more than he probably wants anyway. I did also consider any potential exposure to outside illness, I don't even take him outside because of the chickens being potential carriers of coccidia, there is a parasite from the doves that actually kills chickens, and the huge population of wild rabbits. Little guy lives in a bubble.

Thank you for the feedback :)

Had a single bunny who will always be my best memories, Sammy. I wish I would have gotten brothers at birth for Sammy's and my sake.

2 new lil guys I got are best buddies and learn from each other. Both have different personalitys at different times so they are so fun to play with and love.

Biggest plus is they always chase and have fun with each other so they are fun to watch.

I have never bonded rabbits before but they do have cages right next to each other. Once when I took all but one rabbit to a multiple day show, that lone rabbit got very upset with me but as soon as they came back he was back to normal. However, this same rabbit had been all by his lonesome a long time ago and sense he didn't know any different he was totally happy with this.

Why bond them? they are so adorable if they are best friends. The bonded dynamic is they are inseparable. Look for Bandit he is laying on Snoopy and vice versa. Bandit hops/chases by Snoppy is right behind him. They get out of each others cages in the morning they go over to each other and give a kiss. I now just attach the cages and they go between them happily. I pick up Snoopy Bandit is looking all over for him, so cute.

They are brothers and we went back to get Bandit and so glad we did.

I found that peeta was a lot more destructive before I added Polly he constantly would move his cage and rattle the bars now he seems perfectly content and never bored.

I am going to be attempting the bonding process because I would like to have two bunnies, not because Chive is lonely. It will be easier for free range time if they are bonded, and they will get more time out of their cages this way! If the bonding doesn't happen, oh well. Thats how I feel anyways :bunny24

Latest posts

Back