Why are my rabbits small and compact?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCWelch

Reaction score
I just purchased a Broken New Zealand she is nice plump and rounded and 3 months old weighs 4.5 lbs

I have raised a Californian /New Zealand from birth and a Siamese Satin from 4 weeks, both are now 2 and a half months and weigh the same as the New Zealand but are half the size and very muscular. All 3 are does.

All are very healthy, I feed a 17% pellet mixed with rolled oats and cracked corn free choice, they constantly have water both bottles and bowls in hot weather they get added electrolytes. I also feed a good grass hay and sometimes just grass and non dried purple clover.

Is it preferable to have them heavy and muscular or larger and "light for their size"?

I am sure genetics play a big part in the size of your bunnies at this age, more-so than how much feed or protein that is given. Are you trying to raise them for a meat pen at a show? If so I would suggest next time getting a group of littermates so that they are all on the same growth track. :)

And there is nothing wrong with raising rabbits for meat...PM me if you want to know about another forum that is more accepting and more welcoming to breeders of show and meat rabbits.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Are you raising rabbits for meat? I don't know if this is the best forum to be posting about that.

We allow people to talk about meat rabbits because that is how many of the breeds are often discussed - for example the New Zealands and the Californians and even Flemish Giants are called "meat rabbits".

We just don't discuss the rest of the process....

4kr wrote:
I am sure genetics play a big part in the size of your bunnies at this age, more-so than how much feed or protein that is given. Are you trying to raise them for a meat pen at a show? If so I would suggest next time getting a group of littermates so that they are all on the same growth track. :)

And there is nothing wrong with raising rabbits for meat...PM me if you want to know about another forum that is more accepting and more welcoming to breeders of show and meat rabbits.
I just want to clarify something here....

This forum is largely made up of pet owners and they are often bothered by the whole "commercial rabbit" type of discussion.

Because of this - we do not discuss many aspects of "meat breeding".

However - a question like this is a perfectly valid question because you're dealing with the genetics and nutrition of rabbits and just because they fall under the "meat rabbits" type of classification does not mean we can't discuss them - it just means we don't discuss the "rest" of the meat breeding aspect.

I hope I'm making some sense.

4KR - could you pm me also the information on the other forum so I can have it handy when we have people join who want to discuss meat breeding? It would be a helpful resource to have.

Thanks!

I'd like toknow the website also. I have no problem with the wholemeat rabbit thing...I guess because our first experience was with meat rabbits when my daughter was in FFA. I expect quite a number of FFA & 4-H'rs have the desire to continue working with rabbits once they get out of high school. That's the only reasonwe moved from Californians to other breeds, to continue showing.

Must_Love_Pets wrote:
I just choose now as an adult to have them as pets :)
I adore Californians - and now that I have New Zealands I really like them too - so funny sometimes. I have two sisters that are as different as night and day - one is a sweetheart and just a lovebug - her sister....not so much. Plus I'm getting third doe from someone here on the forum who has to rehome her N.Z. when she goes to college.

Its funny that the "meat breeds" are such good pet rabbits....the ones I've had are mostly sweeties...

Same here I just adore Mini Rex and Flemish. My uncle use to raise Standard Rex for meat and pelts so I never got to know them as pets. Well there were well over 400 in his rabbitry. In 4H I showed rabbits so I never really got into them as a pet then either. NOW? OH MY GOODNESS I can't imagine them as anything else. I can show and love them as pets. Thor my Flemish is our 3rd dog as i put it. Such sweet animals. I know plenty that still raise for meat and I am ok with that as long as I don't see them or have any part in it. It makes me too sad now.

Ok, these are show bunnies I am discussing...I cross breed for the other part. In here I discuss meat rabbits pertaining to type not because I am going to eat them.

I would have thought genetics was a factor but my nice plump New Zealand is starting to "muscle up" and the same with my Flemish Giant. They weigh what they should for their age but they are muscular.
That is why I added corn and oats to "fatten" them a little.

4kr Thanks for the heads up on the other forum, maybe they can help me with another problem.

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Are you raising rabbits for meat? I don't know if this is the best forum to be posting about that.
You might be surprised to know that this forum was originally started by a "meat" rabbit breeder. ;)

Yes! I forgot to mention Rabbittalk....I don't know how active they are on that forum but it's excellent for the breeders that have the larger 'meat' type rabbits.

Corn has a tendency to plump them up but not in a good way. It's useful for putting on fat and leads to good marbling in beef. Not so desireable for most aspects of feeding rabbits and definitely not good for the long term health of animals that aren't being butchered. Corn is a poor but cheap calorie source so it gets overused. You get twice as much energy in a more useful form from black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) with less fat being stored internally. BOSS is becoming popular with small and large livestock because it provides so much well used energy, a cup of the stuff replaces a scoop of grain which is about 2lbs for my horses, without the health issues of corn or the carbs of any grains which can add fat instead of good weight. A rabbit can have a bunch of fat over it's internal organs that you don't feel from the outside except as increased weight. (The meat section of rabbittalk has a picture of this if you aren't squeamish.) The muscles are not obscured by this fat but it can show up as breeding problems and shorter lifespans.

The only thing I'll feed corn to is chickens and that's because I have no choice.

I prefer commercial rabbits to be in the range of "commercial"

Commercial Sized Rabbit Breeds
With Senior Buck and Senior Doe Weight Ranges In Pounds

BREED Senior Buck Senior Doe
Semi-Arch / Mandolin Body Type Weight Range Weight Range
American* (Blue & White) 9-11 10-12
Beveren* (Black, Blue, White) 8-11 9-12

Commercial / Medium Length Body - -
American Sable* 7-9 8-10
Californian 8-10 8.5 - 10.5
Champagne d'Argent 9-11 9.5 - 11.5
American Chinchilla* 9-11 10-12
Cinnamon* 8.5 - 10.5 9-11
Creme d'Argent* 8 - 10.5 8.5 - 11
Hotots* (blanc de hotot) 8-10 9-11
New Zealand 9-11 10-12
Palomino* 8-10 9-11
Rex 7.5 - 9.5 8 - 10.5
Satin 8.5 - 10 9-11
Silver Fox* 9-11 10-12
*On Rare Breed Rabbits List - -

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

I would like to just take a moment to remind everyone of our forum decorum suggestions which states...

Unacceptable Behavior (Subject toWarnings):

- name calling

- ridiculing of another's opinion

- failure to 'agree to disagree'

- the posting of obviously inflammatorytopics (eg: rabbit meat, breeder vs.animal rights attacks)

- overly abrasive or negative posts on any topic

- personal vendettas

- 'advertising' or linking other forums or commercialventuresin posts (see Content Rulesfor advertising policies).

I have not removed the link that was shared - but I would prefer it if we did not discuss that other forum on here - not that they aren't a great forum (they probably are) but we just try to avoid linking to other forums.

Thanks so much in advance for your understanding of this.

I would suggest to those who might be interested in that other forum - that you PM the members who have mentioned it - OR visit it yourself! :biggrin2:

Peg

I think the original question has to do more with breed characteristics, NZ's were primarily used as meat rabbits because of their body type--at a young age they tend to be of a size and shape to give a good yield. Hoss, our NZ boy seemed to be pretty big even when compared to our Checkered Giant girl and shes weighed 5 pounds more--she's a longer bunny. When I was a kid my dad had pigeons, chickens, and rabbits. They all ended up as pets and the only thing that got cooked was eggs.

akane wrote:
Corn has a tendency to plump them up but not in a good way. It's useful for putting on fat and leads to good marbling in beef. Not so desireable for most aspects of feeding rabbits and definitely not good for the long term health of animals that aren't being butchered. Corn is a poor but cheap calorie source so it gets overused. You get twice as much energy in a more useful form from black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) with less fat being stored internally. BOSS is becoming popular with small and large livestock because it provides so much well used energy, a cup of the stuff replaces a scoop of grain which is about 2lbs for my horses, without the health issues of corn or the carbs of any grains which can add fat instead of good weight. A rabbit can have a bunch of fat over it's internal organs that you don't feel from the outside except as increased weight. (The meat section of rabbittalk has a picture of this if you aren't squeamish.) The muscles are not obscured by this fat but it can show up as breeding problems and shorter lifespans.

The only thing I'll feed corn to is chickens and that's because I have no choice.
This is interesting! I wonder if my dad has thought about using this with his calves.

Thanks everyone but this still has not answered my question completely, how can I make my bunnies not as "hard bodied" even my Flemish Giant doe is getting muscular instead of "fluffy" and she looks funny like that? Is it because I am feeding a higher protein pellet?

Latest posts

Back